Snapper Pro Starter

jackislost1

Threads
Hello all,

I am a recent purchaser of a Snapper Pro Hydro walk behind mower. 36" deck, 14 vtwin briggs and Stratton motor. Model # for mower is PL7H140KW. I got this from a buddy of mine who hasn't used it in about 4 years. He stated it use to run and all it needed was a starter. Well I have scoured the internet to try and determine what starter goes on this mower. Have even reached out to Briggs and Stratton but have not gotten a response from them.

It seems as though there are two options on the starter but it goes by starter housing width???? 3 5/8" or 4 1/2". Can anybody shed some light on which size I might need to purchase to see if I can get this old beast running? The number I found for the engine are as follows: briggs and stratton 400707 0114 01 86011312

Thanks in advance for any all info.

Jack

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Assuming you don't have the old starter to compare lengths. That is one of the issues that the dealers have to deal with also because we have to compare the starter lengths also. Both starters were used on that series of engines. If the longer starter will fit without interfering with block components then that is the one that you.

Same type of issue comes up with the opposed twin briggs over the three or four bolt fuel pump on the front of the carb. IPL shows both carbs but doesn't say which carb is on which engine. So imagine customer calls needing carb repair kit, and you ask three or four bolt carb, and they say you are the dealer you tell me.

jackislost1

Threads
My mistake I thought I added that in on first post. You are correct, I don't have the starter to compare it too. I will snap a picture in a few minutes and post it. That may help out a little bit. Yeah parts list are tough to follow and or decipher these days. Too many different styles or models to go with basically a master parts lists. But I guess its better than having none. Because idiots like me, would never get things back together...LOL.... Pic to follow soon. Thanks for the reply.

jackislost1

Threads
Here are a few photos of the mower. The photo labeled Snapper2 has arrows pointing to where I assume the starter goes. Hopefully it will help in identifying which size starter I need. Thanks for any and all advice. snapper.jpgsnapper2.jpgsnapper3.jpg

Jack

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Seems like I remember the first engines that came out of that style had the shorter starter, and the longer starter came into play with the 18.5-20.5 hp range engines toward the later production run. The longer starter will give you more starting torque but need to see if there is anything that sticks out from the block that could get in the way of the longer starter. Oil pan mounting bolt/flanges that type of thing.

jackislost1

Threads
ILENGINE,

Thanks for the reply's. You guys/gals that take time to help out those of us that ain't got a clue, says a lot about your character. Theres a man in the John Deere forum that is helping me out with my riding mower and I'm just truly appreciative of you alls help. But enough of the mushy talk. So, I am assuming you want some pics that could help answer the questions and I tried to get some that might help shed some light on the starter width/ length or what have you. If these don't help let me know of a better way to try and show it and I will get it done. Thanks again. HoriztapeviewSnapper.jpgHorizview2tapeSnapper.jpgoverviewSnapper.jpgverticalviewtapeSnapper.jpgvertviewSnapper.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
In your last picture looks like a oil pan mounting bolt flange sticking out what would be behind the zip tie. how far is it from that point to the starter mounting studs.

jackislost1

Threads
In your last picture looks like a oil pan mounting bolt flange sticking out what would be behind the zip tie. how far is it from that point to the starter mounting studs.

Not sure I am tracking what you are looking at or for. Does the numbers on this pic correlate to what you are talking about????vertviewSnapper.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
There area I am concerned about is the area I circles in the neighborhood of the 20 on your picture

attachment.php

Stuff that would interfere with the bottom of the starter preventing it from mounting correctly

Attachments

• block.png
    block.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 17

jackislost1

Threads
So to me it looks like there is about 3 1/2" clearance to the hydraulic hoses. and then about 10" or so to the bottom. Hopefully the pictures will show what I am talking about. aboveview.jpgbehindview.jpgfronttobackmeasure.jpgLefttoRightMeasure.jpgupdownmeasure.jpg