Snapper LT125 - Drive Belt Replacement

BohoRex

Threads
Hi folks, I have been gifted an old Snapper LT125 - 23hp - 42" cut.

IT's been maintained well for the last ~20 years - however I believe it may be time to change the drive belt. The mower just won't move at any real speed - unless I'm on absolutely flat ground. If any slope or an ant mound + thick grass - the mower just acts like the transmission is slipping - and won't turn the wheels to move up the hill. I'm betting (and hoping) it's the drive belt.

The manual simply states "See Dealer for Service" to change the drive belt. Really? I would much rather do it myself...and I see from a YT video that it may be a real pain in the rear to change... found this video for a similar Snapper model:
)

Any insight from others on replacing the belt?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Looks like the drive belt part number should be 1728008SM.

BohoRex

Threads
Yes -
Looks like the drive belt part number should be 1728008SM.
I've got the belt on order already. Was just seeing if there were any official procedures for it's replacement, that may be easier than this guy's video shows.

Thanks

BohoRex

Threads
Groovy. Amazon shipped the wrong belt (because I didn't pay attention to what was returned on the part number search - and clicked on a "suggested" item - it's the mwer/deck belt - so wasn't a total waste - except of my time) My fault.. Got the right one ordered this time.

I was successful in getting the old belt off this afternoon. Yes - It was a pain in the rear. Removed mower deck. Removed the blade engage clutch, steering gears under the mower, the 2 drive tensioner pulleys under the mower, steering wheel - and steering shaft (since the shaft goes through the belt) ... then bent the guide tab on the front pulley away from the pulley so the belt could be pulled off.

The replacement belt ( 1728008SM ) is spec'ed out as being 88.25" inches. Given that - how much would a belt have to stretch to make the mower slip when going up slight inclines? I measured the old belt. 3x. It measured right at 88.75 - so according to spec - has stretched 1/2" (if measured as OD of the belt). Is 1/2" stretch enough to make it feel lijke the transmission is slipping when on slight inclines, yet almost seem fine on flat surfaces? Or should I be looking elsewhere?

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The v of the belt wears too effectively making the belt longer then measured OD. What you measured is the belt stretched length.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Now I do need the 7 digit model from the serial tag to be sure but it looks to a rather simple belt path. One thing I saw on the IPL I pulled up was there is a plastic v-idler pulley used. If so it needs to changed at the same time the drive belt gets changed.

BohoRex

Threads
Now I do need the 7 digit model from the serial tag to be sure but it looks to a rather simple belt path. One thing I saw on the IPL I pulled up was there is a plastic v-idler pulley used. If so it needs to changed at the same time the drive belt gets changed.
The Model is 2690808.

Yes - I have pulled off the V-pulley as well as the flat pulley. From what I see on my .pdf parts list - looks like those are 1728001SM (V pulley) and 1728000SM (flat pulley). Let me know if I'm incorrect.

Thanks!
Rex

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Ahhh That is the one that I look-up. Those are the right ones.

As changing the drive belt the electric PTO would need to be removed but the rest is fairly simple to do. Just remember to torque the PTO retaining bolt (screw) to 55 ft lbs when when reinstalling and it would hurt to use some anti-seize on the crankshaft.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m confused, according to what I’ve looked up 1728000SM and 1728001SM are both V-pulleys and 1728008SM is the drive belt. What am I missing?

BohoRex

Threads
Ahhh That is the one that I look-up. Those are the right ones.

As changing the drive belt the electric PTO would need to be removed but the rest is fairly simple to do. Just remember to torque the PTO retaining bolt (screw) to 55 ft lbs when when reinstalling and it would hurt to use some anti-seize on the crankshaft.
Will do! Thank you! Yes - Electric PTO clutch was removed earlier today, and pulled the steering shaft because the belt straddles the shaft.