Smart people needed; advice on Kohler/transimissions and Cub Cadet

robert

Threads
  • / Smart people needed; advice on Kohler/transimissions and Cub Cadet
Are there any significant differences between the Kohler Command and Command Pro, is there an inherent advantage, disadvange for having a horizontal v vertical design in a riding tractor?

Only two makers, Cub in thre 2000 series and higher and Deere in the x530 and higher offer 'serviceable' hydro drives anymore (LT, GT) and even with the Deere at nearly 7 large for the 530 you get an internal replaceable filter not a spin on as with the Cub 2000 series at roughly 1/2 the price of the Deere!-does the ability to routinely drain, fill and change filters extend drive life for the average homeowner?

Cub Cadet: a dealer is willing to take my pos Exmark on trade for a 2000 series 'GT', the zt is for his brother and he knows the issues I have/had, I would sustain a total loss of roughly $1,000 this would be worth it for me to get rid of a product which has absolutely no oem customer support, other than lip service.

I will admit to having never really considered a Cub product but after looking at the build components this maker seems to have put together an impressive package for the money; $3,600 with a 42/44" deck, can't remember. Fit and finish is excellent, they use the Command however the internet is full of comments about under hood operating temps with the Command in the Cub.

Hopefully we have a Cub Cadet guru here who can give me the real facts ; I know that MTD now owns Cub and that Cub like all others is a shadow of its former self with regard to quality -, two dealers have told me that MTD maintains a separate area for the building of Cub with dedicated Cub people; true/false?
Is the 'drive shaft' a gimmick or an asset?
Does the Command-horizontal- in the Cub run at higher temps than others-this engine takes up an awful lot of under hood space- and does this negatively affect longevity?

I guess the simple question is how good or bad is the series 2000 Cub Cadet?? with regard to customer service it has become painfully apparent that Cub can be no worse than Exmark.

I do realize ther is a Cub sub forum my hope is that in the general section those who would not view Cub specific comments may provide input.

Tnks in advance

originalswampfox

Threads
Background: over the years(past 45) have worked on a lot of tractors small and large, including hydraulics hydrostatic transmissions, small kohler and B&S, to Cummins, Detroit and Caterpillar engines. Today i am relegated to a 1/4 acre lot in FL. I own a Craftsman 22" cut 6.5 hp walk behind, the hell of being retired.

The hydrostatic transmission is one of the most complicated and expensive parts of the tractor. The Cub uses a Hydro-Gear BDU-10. I have no personal experience with these but the design looks good. The direct drive shaft is definitely a plus. Kohler makes a good engine. I have no experience with the new Cubs but I like what I see. Ingersol Rand makes almost the same hydrostatic drive but I have no idea what tractor it's used in. Ingersol has the best reputation out there. They pioneered the positive displacement pump that is at the heart of all hydrostatic drives today.

robert

Threads
tnks origninalswampfox, I agree about the complexity of the drive. You don't see the cast iron, external filter units with the very large oil capacites much anymore.