SLTX 1054

WEC1965

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Cub Cadet SLTX 1054 mower thatis three years old and will not keep the deck belt on the tensioner seems to work fine , the belt is the correct belt. The dealer can not find any thing wrong it will just start throwing the belt off it started this about 3 months after I purchased the mower. Sometime the belt comes off and other times it destrories the belt these belts cost alot. the last time it came off it caught the wire to the pto and broke it causing the pto to not fully engaged fixed that by soldering and section of wire back in but pto still goes on and off.I was told that the battery keeps the pto engaged so I replaced the battery did not help. Then a repairman told me that there was a recall on the tension spring and I needed to replace it with the new gold colored spring that is stronger but the dealer has not heard of this recall. I have tried to move spring mounting bolt to give greater tension but it made the belts hit each other and I only drilled the new hole 1/4" futher back on the same lineto keep everything lined upas close to original. If anyone has heard of this recall no can offer any help or advice it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bill

Last edited:

Lawnranger

Threads
Hi Bill,

Welcome to the forum. I have had just about all makes & models throw the deck belt and what I found most of the time it was that the tensioner pulley bracket will bend, over time & stress, and change the angle of belt travel. Of course it could be something else and I have not heard of the recall you mentioned but I do hope you can find the problem and fix it. I'm sure you already checked all the pulley bearings for excess play but if you haven't it would be a good idea just to make sure a loose bearing isn't causing the problem.

Good luck.

WEC1965

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Lawnranger, thanks for the info I have checked pulleys and brackets everything seems fine and not bent. I actually built my own adjustable tensioner to put on and see if this helps if it does I will post some pictures with dimensions so others can make one also.

kleake

Forum Newbie
Threads
Was you ever able to fix this? Mine never threw the belt, but if my wife or kids get into thick grass it stops the blades and smokes the belt. Once it smokes one time, the $90 belt is shot. I tried a $20 Gates belt, but it wouldn't even keep it on, but worked great for the first 2 hrs of mowing and wouldn't slip at all, then started throwing it off. I adjusted my tensioner by adding shims and tilting the pulley so the belt isn't at such an angle going onto the tensioner. This seemed to help, but didn't fix it completely. Right now I am back to a smoked original which stays on, but shakes like crazy. 1. is there a cheaper belt that actually works, and 2. has anyone adjusted the tensioner so it doesn't throw the belt or to stop a factory belt from slipping?

Hi Lawnranger, thanks for the info I have checked pulleys and brackets everything seems fine and not bent. I actually built my own adjustable tensioner to put on and see if this helps if it does I will post some pictures with dimensions so others can make one also.

grosso

Forum Newbie
Threads
We had the same exact problem with CC sltx; we ended up taking it to another repair place and they said they see this problem all the time. The actually put a smaller belt on and it hasn't come off yet! Who knew???

DWSteward

Forum Newbie
Threads
My SLTX1054 had been doing the same thing. After going thru several belts, putting another bolt in the deck to pull the spring tighter and wearing out the spindle. I got a friend that has a machine shop, make me a flange to bolt on the top side of the pulley (right side sitting on the tractor) 1 and 1/2 inches bigger in diameter.I used the same center and used the nut coming out of the spindle. I think it's an alignment problem. Yes it will wear out the belt pre-maturely but it stays on. And what size was that smaller belt that seems to work?

mahaffey

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have read many post about the problems people are having with the belts wearing out and coming off these mowers, but has anyone found a solution?

big boss hog

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Cub Cadet SLTX 1054 mower thatis three years old and will not keep the deck belt on the tensioner seems to work fine , the belt is the correct belt. The dealer can not find any thing wrong it will just start throwing the belt off it started this about 3 months after I purchased the mower. Sometime the belt comes off and other times it destrories the belt these belts cost alot. the last time it came off it caught the wire to the pto and broke it causing the pto to not fully engaged fixed that by soldering and section of wire back in but pto still goes on and off.I was told that the battery keeps the pto engaged so I replaced the battery did not help. Then a repairman told me that there was a recall on the tension spring and I needed to replace it with the new gold colored spring that is stronger but the dealer has not heard of this recall. I have tried to move spring mounting bolt to give greater tension but it made the belts hit each other and I only drilled the new hole 1/4" futher back on the same lineto keep everything lined upas close to original. If anyone has heard of this recall no can offer any help or advice it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bill

Do you still use the tractor? i have a fix for your problem. the fix is what cub cadet should have done from day one. let me no. fred

big boss hog

Forum Newbie
Threads
Was you ever able to fix this? Mine never threw the belt, but if my wife or kids get into thick grass it stops the blades and smokes the belt. Once it smokes one time, the $90 belt is shot. I tried a $20 Gates belt, but it wouldn't even keep it on, but worked great for the first 2 hrs of mowing and wouldn't slip at all, then started throwing it off. I adjusted my tensioner by adding shims and tilting the pulley so the belt isn't at such an angle going onto the tensioner. This seemed to help, but didn't fix it completely. Right now I am back to a smoked original which stays on, but shakes like crazy. 1. is there a cheaper belt that actually works, and 2. has anyone adjusted the tensioner so it doesn't throw the belt or to stop a factory belt from slipping?

Do you still use the tractor? i have a fix for your problem. the fix is what cub cadet should have done from day one. let me no. fred

big boss hog

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have a fix for your problem. the fix is what cub cadet should have done from day one. im trying to get a patent to fix the problem.