Since Dixie Choppers are no more is there any parts we should be buying up / hoarding

RCountry2

Threads
  • / Since Dixie Choppers are no more is there any parts we should be buying up / hoarding
I know most are easy to find as far as motor, pumps and spindles but is there any specialty items we should be worry about? Thanks

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Since Dixie Choppers are no more is there any parts we should be buying up / hoarding
No more Dixie Chopper ?

crabbymower1

Forum Newbie
Threads
No, first I heard of this, but did google search and it is gone. Textron Corp stop making them and another brand (forgot the name) and a four wheel machine. Happened in December 2018. Really bummed me out as I just bought my Zee 2 in June of last year. Will be following this for any thoughts you folks have. Did check suppliers of parts and they are available, but now the prices will probably go up also. Take care.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
No, first I heard of this, but did google search and it is gone. Textron Corp stop making them and another brand (forgot the name) and a four wheel machine. Happened in December 2018. Really bummed me out as I just bought my Zee 2 in June of last year. Will be following this for any thoughts you folks have. Did check suppliers of parts and they are available, but now the prices will probably go up also. Take care.

Here is one of the announcements of its closing dated in December

https://www.rurallifestyledealer.co...on-of-dixie-chopper-jacobsen-zero-turn-mowers

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
No more Dixie Chopper ?

In November Textron announced that they were moving Dixie Chopper out of Indiana to an out of state facility, and almost a month to the day in December announced that they were closing the plant and stopping production of Dixie Chopper.

RCountry2

Threads
Dang thought everyone new this....well I do spend too much time on the net. Anyway main thing I'm concern is about the wear parts on the frame/deck. Below is the statement on this.

Home > Daily News > Textron SV to lay off 400; cease production of Dixie Chopper
Textron SV to lay off 400; cease production of Dixie Chopper

in Daily News December 19, 2018

Textron Specialized Vehicles – parent company of Dixie Chopper, Jacobsen, Arctic Cat, Textron Off Road, and E-Z-GO – announced that it will eliminate approximately 400 positions, which is 10 percent of Textron Specialized Vehicles’ workforce, and will close several factory-direct turf-care branch locations and a manufacturing facility.

The company also announced that it has ceased production of Dixie Chopper zero-turn mowers, Jacobsen zero-turn mowers and its Jacobsen Truckster L/M series utility vehicles.

On November 27, Textron Specialized Vehicles issued a Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act (WARN) letter to the Indiana Department of Workforce Development that it was conducting a permanent reduction of its workforce at the Dixie Chopper facility in Coatesville, Ind. The facility closure affected approximately 107 employees.

Then, on December 6, Textron filed an 8-K form with the Securities and Exchange Commission. The filing read as follows:

On December 4, 2018, our Board of Directors approved a plan to restructure the Textron Specialized Vehicles businesses within our Industrial segment. We expect to incur pre-tax charges in the range of $60 million to $85 million under this plan, which will be recorded in the fourth quarter of 2018.

Textron Specialized Vehicles has undergone significant changes since the acquisition of Arctic Cat as we have expanded the product portfolio and integrated manufacturing operations and retail distribution. As disclosed in our Form 10-Q filed for the third quarter of 2018, the operating results for these businesses were significantly below our expectations as dealer sell-through lagged despite the introduction of new products into our dealer network. Management conducted a strategic review of the Textron Specialized Vehicles businesses, which included an assessment of the acquired dealer network and go-to-market strategy for the Textron Off Road and Arctic Cat brands, as well as cost reduction initiatives throughout the Textron Specialized Vehicles businesses. The restructuring plan will result in the impairment of intangible assets, primarily related to product rationalization, the elimination of approximately 400 positions, representing approximately 10% of Textron Specialized Vehicles’ workforce, and closure of several factory-direct turf-care branch locations and a manufacturing facility. The restructuring actions under this plan are expected to result in improved operating results for these businesses.

Severance and related costs for this plan are estimated to be in the range of $10 million to $15 million. Contract termination and other facility closure charges are estimated to be in the range of $5 million to $15 million. Impairment charges are estimated to be in the range of $45 million to $55 million and largely relate to acquired intangible assets. Expected cash outlays in connection with this plan are estimated to be in the range of $15 million to $30 million, with up to $10 million in the fourth quarter of 2018 and the remainder in 2019. We anticipate that this plan will be substantially completed by the end of 2018.

Textron Specialized Vehicles has indicated that it will continue to provide sales, warranty, parts, and service support to its dealers and end-user customers, and that it will maintain its dealer portal.

Last edited:

RCountry2

Threads
One part that I'm kind of worried about although there are aftermarkets ones out (but how good are they?) The electric pto clutch...how many hours should it last? If that goes I'm done for awhile. May go ahead and buy one just in case as I plan on keeping mine for awhile.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Even though they are going to supply parts and warranty for their products, something that I can see happening and have seen it happen is dealers will disappear. So your local dealer will no longer carry parts or service those mowers, And the next closest dealer will be 75 miles away. Or they claim they have enough parts to service customer mowers for the next 10 years, and in reality 18 months from now some parts will be sold out and NLA.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The only thing they did at the factory was bend , weld & paint steel then assemble all the parts that they bought in the painted steel to make a mower.
So it is not Dixie you need to worry about, it is their suppliers.
The very first thing you need to do is download the parts manual and any service information that is on the web site.
Print a couple of hard copies and write down the suppliers against each part.
Any company that spends a small fortune releasing new models then dumps them so abruptly is in a financial or political mess.
I would hazard a guess that they were going to off shore the assembly of the Dixie & they ran into problems from the government as that would not fit in with the "Make America Great Again " mantra.
Harley just closed down the aluminium wheel factory they built in Australia to appease the Trump administration.

So the only parts that will become a problem are spindles & spindle housings and the only thing I would be buying right now is a set of them.
After that the next unique item will be the spindle pulleys and the idler pulleys.

As for the latter I fit JD parts because the Dixie pulleys are over $ 100 and the JD ones were around $ 40.
Not exact replacements so I had to turn up new bushes and adjust the belt tension.

Idler pulleys are the biggest problem I have with obsolete mowers that require regular replacement & all of them except European mowers have captive bearings.
Some can be split then get riveted / bolted back together with a new bearing inside & I have customers who do this regularly.
For the Bolens/TroyBilt DuraTrac Garden Tractor we ended up getting PTO idler pulleys turned up, done properly with a replaciable combination ball & roller pulley.

Other unique parts are springs but you should have hundreds of small spring factories in the USA that will make you replacements if you take the old ones to them.