Simplicity Legacy went on fire near battery!!- Please Help!!

bebop86

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Simplicity Legacy went on fire near battery!!- Please Help!!
So my wife called from our place up north- she took the legacy out for the first time this spring and said it went on fire around battery compartment- Any ideas as I am not up there- thks

Attachments

• IMG_5688 (1).jpg
    IMG_5688 (1).jpg
    845.1 KB · Views: 8

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Probably caused by a spark into a mouse nest. If I remember correctly the gas tank is right above there. Looks like a major rewiring job.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
To me, looks like some wires rubbing on that steel throttle/choke cable got shorted. See that bundle of wires with no insulation? At the bottom center of the picture? Look at the blue crayon area I circled up.

1653605741691.jpeg

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those steel corrugated cables are very rough on wires. I would plastic loom and tape everything up well next time. Definitely run the wires away from throttle cables. Mowers create a lot of vibes into the machine and wiring.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Doesn't look too bad for a repair. Run one new wire at a time. Zip ties and E tape are your friends. Use the same gauge or heavier wire. Don't use crap butt connectors. Solder and heat shrink is preferred. Let us know how it comes out.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Red circled area looks to be where it started. Looks to be the highest heat concentration.

1653606375055.jpeg