Simplicity Conquest throttle "creep".

wdenis

Forum Newbie
Threads
My Simplicity is a 2002 model Conquest with an 18hp B/S engine that I bought recently. It had an engine issue and after some serious head scratching and with the help of this forum finally got it to run as it should, so I'm grateful for all the help. One last minor issue it has is the "creep" in the throttle when mowing as it slows down unless I constantly hold it in high position. I checked the connections at the engine and all is well there. It would appear that the issue is at the handle and while I have pulled the unit out of the dash there doesn't appear to be any adjustment to tighten the handle to stop it from creeping down and slowing the engine. Anyone have any ideas how to solve this issue? Thanks

bkeller500

Threads
I wonder if your model is missing a throttle retaining spring at one end or the other. If not and you cannot tighten the throttle lever, you may need to replace it. Can you go look at a similar used unit and at a dealer or private sale and take a peak?

wdenis

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. This is a completely inclosed unit at the control panel end so unless there is a spring inside the plastic box that has broken or dislodged from its position I don't see how one could be missing. I wonder if there is some way to tighten this box as I refer to it? There is one bolt that goes completely through it so I think I will try disassembling that first. Its just frustrating mowing when the throttle keeps dropping the speed of the mower.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If there is no nut then the unit is riveted and the solution is a whack with a flat punch
You need two punches, one to act as an anvil in your vice , & the other to hit it with
The nob on the end that you push , pulls strait off then the unit can be removed from the housing .

wdenis

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think I found the answer and the solution. There are two bolts holding the plastic housing together. I will attempt a word picture here. The main one goes through the two halves of the control handles, one for throttle and the other choke. Picture a bagel with a handle and cut on its edge making two handles and a circle with a hole in the middle...like a bagel. Each control cable for throttle and choke is connected to its own half of the bagel. The second bolt is just a retainer for the plastic housing. What I noticed is the throttle when pushed all the way forward it lines up a groove which is cut straight across with a small strip of steel that has a corresponding "bump" and when the groove lines up with the bump the throttle stays in place until the throttle handle is pulled back, hence no creep. The solution was simple, make the groove a little deeper and sharpen the "bump" with a straight screwdriver making the connection more secure and it seemed to do the trick. So thanks for the suggestions and sorry I didn't take photos but I hope my explanation gave you some idea of what I saw and did.