Simplicity Broadmoor - Starting Problems

WIJBIRD

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good morning everyone!

This is my first post, but I love reading the responses.

I have a Broadmoor Hydro with a B&S 16hp Vanguard engine - it will not start. It turns over without issue, has spark on both cylinders, and has fuel pump through line. It doesn't even pop with starting fluid. I haven't checked the compression yet. I figure I'd better get this worked out before mowing season. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Jay in WI

WIJBIRD

Forum Newbie
Threads
It was running fine, so why would the valves need to be adjusted now? Here you go...

Thx

Attachments

• BS Vanguard 16HP.jpg
    BS Vanguard 16HP.jpg
    866.4 KB · Views: 1

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Suggestion: Read Operators Manual cover to cover. Pages 3 & 5 discuss oil recommendations & checking valve adjustment every 100 hrs. or yearly. If your valves are out of adjustment the compression release on camshaft will not work to assist in starting engine.
I have a 2010 Simplicity Broadmoor & our two sons have the Conquest model 2010. They all have the B&S Vanguard engine, two have 20 h.p. engines one has 23 h.p. engine with oil cooler. My youngest son & I maintain all three with B&S OEM parts most of the time. We do use Valvoline 5w-30 full synthetic oil as suggested in Operators Manual. Valvoline has been around since 1866 & price for 5qt. container is very reasonable. We change B&S oil filters at every service. Full synthetic oil provides the best protection at all temperatures, -20* to 120*F as well as improved starting with less oil consumption as stated in Operators Manual page 3.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the engine will not hit with starter fluid down the plug hole then either one of the valves is stuck open ( most likely the exhaust ) or the timing key in the flywheel has broken & the flywheel has shifted on the crank shaft .

WIJBIRD

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thx. I'll look into those.