Silver Eagle 72"

dbshelton

Threads
A friend of mine has a Silver Eagle with Kaw 27hp and 72" deck that was near a house fire. He told me I can have it if I come and get it and see if I can use it for parts but he thinks it may be fixable. For sure the plastic parts are all melted, seat burned up, and who knows what else. I have an old 1999 X2002-50 that I use and it is still great . What all could interchange?
I may be wasting my time until I get it home and clean it up. Then figure out how to evaluate the hydraulics, etc.

Last edited:

dbshelton

Threads
Stripped off the burnt wiring harness, controls, melted tires, burnt up seat, melted battery, melted fuel tanks, and all of the melted plastic. Really doesn't look so bad now. The engine oil looks fine and the hydraulic oil and lines look fine too. This thing shows some promise. I jury rigged some wiring, blade clutch switch, kill switch, and starter switch just to get the motor started, and a temporary fuel tank and battery. The engine started right up and runs great. The blade clutch works with temporary wiring and the wheel motors turn forward and backwards. Of course the real test will be when I get some tires on it to see if it actually moves. No safety controls at all but this is just a test. Where does everyone buy Dixie Chopper parts online? I normally use Power Mower Sales.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bertsmobile1 had a great idea for your seat. Look for ski boat seats. Cheap with durable marine grade UV resistant material.

654977726.png

s-1500.jpg

4BLLGT2DP-2.jpg
HTB1FEUKadfvK1RjSszhq6AcGFXaH.jpg

Attachments

• 4BLLGT2DP-2.jpg
    4BLLGT2DP-2.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 1
  • s-1500.jpg
    s-1500.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Lots of ways to do it
You can cut a hole in the bottom of the seat to take an internal switch.
it is just a round hole with 3 slots
Or fit a bracket to take a switch that is depressed by plate the seat is bolted to.
Down here we get a lot more UV than anywhere else in the planet so seats do not last all that long
$ 200 for a genuine seat or $ 45 for a boat seat
It is a no brainer and the boat seats are a lot more comfortable

dbshelton

Threads
I did end up buying a boat seat. Very comfortable. After all is said and done I have right at $1200 invested in my mower. Not 100% happy with the steering. Seems like I am always correcting.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad you are back on the grass
Always correcting is part & parcel of independent drives.
After a while you will do it without thinking it becomes a reflex action .
If you are not used to driving ZTR's a couple of mental tricks.
I tell my customers to use their dominant hand to do all the steering with and the other hand to regulate speed.
Most seem to get the hang of it very quickly
Dropping the tyre pressure also slows down the steering action.

Some one else here use the line.
Think of the handles an being joined together & steer like it is a shopping trolley

Where I can , I hold both lap bars in one hand and steer by twisting my wrist .
That leaves the other hand free to pick up rubbish with a long handled grabber.

Enjoy your mower & thanks for getting back

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I did end up buying a boat seat. Very comfortable. After all is said and done I have right at $1200 invested in my mower. Not 100% happy with the steering. Seems like I am always correcting.
NOW, you have to post pictures of your new seat. We want to see which one.

So comfort is up on the boat seat. How much better is the boat vs mower seat?

slomo

dbshelton

Threads
I will get a picture. Not sure my Tempress Probax highback seat is any better but it is just as good as the Michigan suspension seat on my 99 model that cost 3 times as much and doesn't sit as tall.
As far as the steering, the newer Silver Eagle has a totally different feel than my 99. Seems slower to react and overall slower running