Shuts Down

HEGartner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a Z665 that runs for approx 2 - 3 minutes cutting grass and it starts to stall, shut down mower and some times it was run ( very rough) and other time it may shut down. Can restart right away, it idles rough for a few seconds and idle evens out. then this will keep repeating if i try to mow again. I have changed spark plugs, fuel filer and air cleaner. No change. Looking for suggestions for what it may be or how to solve the problem. Thanks

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
loosen your gas cap and see what happens

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When it stops remove gas cap remove fuel line at the fuel pump and blow back through the fuel line.
If it runs for substantially longer then you have debris in the fuel tank that needs to be removed
So try both of these ( at different times ) and get back with the results .

HEGartner

Forum Newbie
Threads
When it stops remove gas cap remove fuel line at the fuel pump and blow back through the fuel line.
If it runs for substantially longer then you have debris in the fuel tank that needs to be removed
So try both of these ( at different times ) and get back with the results .
I have tried that already, also removed fuel tank and cleaned and refilled with fresh fuel. Same results. Question - How would I know if this could be a vacuum issue? Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Could be very well the fuel failing. IF you can safety mount a fuel container above the carburetor level and by pass the fuel pump separate fuel line. This would give gravity feed to the carburetor and you know if it is a fuel flow problem.

HEGartner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could be very well the fuel failing. IF you can safety mount a fuel container above the carburetor level and by pass the fuel pump separate fuel line. This would give gravity feed to the carburetor and you know if it is a fuel flow problem.
Do mean go directly from container to the carb?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes
I have an old Tecumseh flat head tank that I use because it has an internal filter and an intigrated fuel tap
The idea is to work out where the problem is so this rules out fuel supply
If it runs fine like that then I move the connection back to the next element ( pump or filter ) and if it works fine when connected to the closest part to the fuel tank, that just leaves the tank or fuel lines
JD like to use top draw fuel tanks so the have a pick up tube it the top of the tank that stops 1/8" to 1/4" above the bottom of the tank.
These are prone to cracking just past where they go through the tank .

HEGartner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes
I have an old Tecumseh flat head tank that I use because it has an internal filter and an intigrated fuel tap
The idea is to work out where the problem is so this rules out fuel supply
If it runs fine like that then I move the connection back to the next element ( pump or filter ) and if it works fine when connected to the closest part to the fuel tank, that just leaves the tank or fuel lines
JD like to use top draw fuel tanks so the have a pick up tube it the top of the tank that stops 1/8" to 1/4" above the bottom of the tank.
These are prone to cracking just past where they go through the tank .
Thank you give it a go