Shovels?

monica123

Threads
What are the best now shovels out there? I think we may need some new ones this year and wanted some opinions on the best ones. I noticed there were ergonomic ones now a days too.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
monica, Not that I am even thinking of looking for one. But if I were:
Durable ... Light weight...& something that fits you... I am 6' 5", a snow shovel that fits me would most likely not be very handy for someone else:wink:...
There are going to be a lot of them showing up... give them a grab hold try...
The ergonomic designed ones are even more tailored to your height, than the standard straight handle... :smile:KennyV

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I had to look what I have been missing out on in the snow shoveling field...

Has anyone got the "Sno Wovel Wheeled Snow Shovel" ??
about $120.00
Here is a short video clip...
Wovel Shovel | Sno Wovel Wheeled Shovel | ActiveForever.com
I'm not too sure this will work as easy as it looks in the video..
Any one actually use this? :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
What are the best now shovels out there? I think we may need some new ones this year and wanted some opinions on the best ones. I noticed there were ergonomic ones now a days too.

My favorites are from Menards, they feature a D handle, seem to be extra long (although I am a short guy) and have a reinforced plastic blade. Sears sells some that have these features, but the blades are so curved I actually hate to use them...they work great for actual shoveling, but I prefer to shove the snow aside or scrape it rather than lift or snow. On a hard surface where the shovel will easily slide, I often prefer to flip the shovels over and scrape the snow or ice off, rather than lift and throw. Try flipping a shovel over and see how well that works for you. Some shovels like the ones Sears sells also have a huge blade, they add a lot of extra weight and it adds up fast. Plan to spend about $15 for a good one, they last for years if taken care of. As Kenny says, try them out in the store, and my advice is, imaging using one bundled up in a heavy coat and wearing gloves...some handles feel fine when you use them barehanded but are awkward with gloves on.

indypower

Threads
Personally, I like the old straight handle shovels. Straight wood handle with a D handle grip and plastic scoop 18" wide with a metal wear strip.

monica123

Threads
My husband likes the old school scoops but those are some hard to find these days, they don't seem to make them anymore, you know the ones you scoop and push them and it will push a path for you.

adan

Threads
We don't have snow here. So it would be strange to find snow shovels here. But I can't help but be amused by this shovel:

Sno_Wovel_InUse.jpg

It's from the site cited by KennyV. Do any of you use that kind of shovel? I think with little modification this design can be used for sand and dirt too.

Green Girl

Threads
So I assume that's a "snow tire" on that thing for traction, right? It's quite the gizmo! I'm sure it must also have brakes for use on hills?

AndyMan

Threads
I like the wide "pusher" shovels, where you push the shovel and the curved head curls the snow up and over like a snow plow. It's hard to find a good one that will curl the snow properly, and many of them that curl well are narrow. For some reason the very best ones have an orange head.