Setup of HF2417HSE

ho55man

Forum Newbie
Threads
Help!!!!

I'm staggered that having spent so much money on a Honda ride on that anything remotely looking like long grass is impossible to cut.
The grass is 7 to 10 inches and the mower has always struggled, almost stalling at any grass above about 5 inches. You have to stop, disengage the blades, back up a little and try again. The Honda web site shows a picture of this mower cutting what looks like 12 - 18 inches of grass!!

The issue is now getting worse. Clumps of grass are jamming between the end of the blades and the blade shroud, stalling the blades and the clutch starts smoking.
I have to jack the mower up and get a serrated knife to cut the grass away before I can continue. It is wedged so tightly it can't be removed by hand.

This happened 5 times within about 15 mins at the weekend. Surely such an expensive machine cannot be that poor at it's core function. It must be setup wrong but I do not know what to look for at to whether something is amiss.

Any help would be gratefully received :)

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Preventive Maintenance is needed. Remove deck clean underside, remove blades, clean, inspect for cracks, etc. sharpen & balance blades or replace if necessary. Make sure blades are installed & bolts torqued correctly , refer to Operators Manual. Cut grass after lunch when it is dry. Let us know how it goes, thanks Mark

Last edited:

ho55man

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Mark,
Thanks for the reply and the info. Will let you know how I get on.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well it is still a 22 year old mower regardless of who made it
Your symptoms are what I would expect if it was only running on one cylinder
So try to start it with one plug removed then try with the other removed
Let us know what you find