Self Contained Hour Meters - How long does the battery last?

NHFree1

Threads
  • / Self Contained Hour Meters - How long does the battery last?
Been thinking about an hour meter on the new mower (when I get it this spring) and also for a couple other pieces of equipment. Anyone have experience with how long they last, how long before the battery gives up, and if they retain their memory if the internal battery dies?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Been thinking about an hour meter on the new mower (when I get it this spring) and also for a couple other pieces of equipment. Anyone have experience with how long they last, how long before the battery gives up, and if they retain their memory if the internal battery dies?

Think about it like a watch how long do they last. And I'm sure internal memory is necessary

BWH

Threads
I have had a couple of Tiny-Tach's over the years the first one lasted a little over seven years. This unit is a tachometer/hour meter.

I think they said the expected battery life of the Tiny Tach is five years.

You know when the battery is getting weak and have plenty of time to replace the unit as the battery is not replaceable in the sealed unit.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have had a couple of Tiny-Tach's over the years the first one lasted a little over seven years. This unit is a tachometer/hour meter.

You know when the battery is getting weak and have plenty of time to replace the unit as the battery is not replaceable in the sealed unit.

Sometimes :) I've replaced lots of sealed unit batterys most the time you crack it open pop out the battery and take it to radio shack and super glue it together none of the things I've done this to required memory so not sure about that

amyquinn

Forum Newbie
Threads

Our Tiny-Tach's bateries also lasted for around that long!

BWH

Threads
Sometimes :) I've replaced lots of sealed unit batterys most the time you crack it open pop out the battery and take it to radio shack and super glue it together none of the things I've done this to required memory so not sure about that

Interesting, Its worth a try and as far as the memory all you would loose is the total hours.

As long as you keep a log of maintenance starting over with the hours would not be the end of the world.

panabiker

Threads
I use the one without battery. It gets power when the engine is on and stops counting when the engine is off. Since the counter is mechanic, it does not reset or lose the count.

Threads

My mower is 8 years old, and the meter is still working, and it has the internal battery.

NHFree1

Threads
I use the one without battery. It gets power when the engine is on and stops counting when the engine is off. Since the counter is mechanic, it does not reset or lose the count.

Can you provide more details on the meter you use? Does the machine have an on-board battery because it is electric start?

panabiker

Threads
Last edited: