Sealed Lead Acid mower converted to Lithium power?

clenaghen

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently was given a Neuton CE5 cordless mower. Batteries are in need of replacement, and I have some on order, but I also ran into Lithium sealed batteries that are marketed as direct replacements for SLA batteries with no special charger needed. I have found Lithium batteries that are the same dimensions as the ones that go into the Neuton batter case, but was wondering if anyone had attempted this yet, and if so, what were your results?

sporkk

Threads
  • / Sealed Lead Acid mower converted to Lithium power?
I was thinking about using one for my small solar project. They have a battery management system so they are compatible with existing sla chargers and such. A 12 v 7ah battery was around $130. So you could probably connect 2 in series. Very pricey though. I've been here trying to find information on this sort of stuff also. I may consider lipo should I ever need to go that route but these sla replacements are lifepo which is a safer chemistry fwir.

flat_top

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Sealed Lead Acid mower converted to Lithium power?
Lithium is the ticket. There are the drop-ins such as A123 Systems ALM 12V7, (which are probably the best drop-in).

If you are handy with a solder iron and schematic and/or know how to educate yourself, this site contains everything you need, but you must search for it.
Endless-sphere.com -(Not a commercial site)

If you know a radio-control hobbyist, they can be a good consultant for using "lipo" batteries and accouterments.

It would be important to know how many Amps your device draws, as any BMS (battery management system) will trip at some limit and/or the batteries will be stressed if you don't have enough capacity (big enough AH [Amp-hour] rating).

I'd be happy to help with any specifics.