Scrap day woes

cubby

Threads
Memorial day weekend I took 2 dodge d-800 single axle dump trucks and a 86 dodge p-up to the local
scrap salvage yard and got over $2500.oo for them I almost felled down. I couldn't believe it. And I
didn't have to drain any of the fluids. At that time they were paying $11.50 per 100 pds. I tried to sell them for 2 yrs for a third just to get rid of them and nobody wanted them. Scrap metal is big business
now. Getting ready to make another run soon with the rest of the junk around the house...cubby

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Memorial day weekend I took 2 dodge d-800 single axle dump trucks and a 86 dodge p-up to the local
scrap salvage yard and got over $2500.oo for them I almost felled down. I couldn't believe it. And I
didn't have to drain any of the fluids. At that time they were paying $11.50 per 100 pds. I tried to sell them for 2 yrs for a third just to get rid of them and nobody wanted them. Scrap metal is big business
now. Getting ready to make another run soon with the rest of the junk around the house...cubby

OH BULL ROAR !!!!! Only a complete IDIOT who runs a scrapyard would be paying THAT INANE AMOUNT for steel scrap. Current price for most of the US is SIX CENTS PER POUND. Your D-800's would weigh maybe 13,000 pounds each, your pickup 4500, for a CW of 30,500 pounds, and at 6 cents a pound, I calculate $1830. Were you standing on the scales when the guy weighed your trucks?

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Thanks, got four of them, the avatar is of Gizmo at 10 weeks old, I rescued him after his barn cat mother was killed by eating a poisoned mouse.
Good to see somebody taking care of an abandoned cat :thumbsup:

We would adopt a cat from a rescue centre, but Buttons (our current 7 year old cat) is a shy cat and doesn't like being around other cats, so we've kept it at just her.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good to see somebody taking care of an abandoned cat :thumbsup:

We would adopt a cat from a rescue centre, but Buttons (our current 7 year old cat) is a shy cat and doesn't like being around other cats, so we've kept it at just her.

We have never had a cat that wasn't abandoned or didn't have major health issues. Want to adopt a dozen more but they are so territorial it is very hard to introduce new ones to an existing household.

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
We have never had a cat that wasn't abandoned or didn't have major health issues. Want to adopt a dozen more but they are so territorial it is very hard to introduce new ones to an existing household.
Yep, I know what you mean.

We got buttons from somebody who was selling kittens at £10 ($20) each, and in hindsight we would have bought her sister too so she had company, but at the time we didn't think.

Oh well, she is a perfectly happy cat anyway, she's always either curled up in bed or getting cuddles etc...

disposalbinwindsor

Forum Newbie
Threads
I feel you. I bet you're frustrated with the amount of trash that is taking over your world. It's spreading like a virus and contaminating everything - it's making you sick!
What if there was a way to get rid of all this junk and make money at the same time? Imagine an event where people can bring their scrap metal (and other items) for free or a small charge and then sell them for cash!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OH BULL ROAR !!!!! Only a complete IDIOT who runs a scrapyard would be paying THAT INANE AMOUNT for steel scrap. Current price for most of the US is SIX CENTS PER POUND. Your D-800's would weigh maybe 13,000 pounds each, your pickup 4500, for a CW of 30,500 pounds, and at 6 cents a pound, I calculate $1830. Were you standing on the scales when the guy weighed your trucks?
Scrap prices are very volatile they can double or even triple over night then go down to 10% just as quickly
Local steel prices have gone through the roof since the pandemic hit imports & local companies had to get castings made locally again.
Even then, when a foundry is 1 ton short for a melt then they will pay big money for that ton that next day they would not.
Albert Sims ( Sims Metal founder worked that out very quickly so would buy at the bottom price & just stockpile till the price was high.
Then when the price was very high, use those profits to buy the land the yards were on so he could buy for several years without have to make any sales to pay the rent.
Then when windfall profits happened the uneducated pauper did what Princeton graduates can not do, bought into industries that had nothing to do with scrap metal and mostly had flucuating cycles that were not in sync with the scrap prices , thus withing 40 years he had a worldwide empire that owned more than 200 companies from womens underwear through to radio stations & railway lines .When taken over , the pHd level executives could not manage to do what he did so had to sell off everything that was not part of the core business and even then they made a pigs breakfast of it .

However at those prices I would guess that the scrapyard had some pickers looking for those vehicles or parts for those vehicles.
No one who worked in the scrap yard ever ought any parts for their cars, they just found some in the cars waiting to be shredded .
In fact we never bought petrol for the work vehicles , it all came from the tanks of the wrecks, same for batteries.