Scag Wildcat won't restart (no spark) until after it cools down.

Barepaws2

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Scag Wildcat won't restart (no spark) until after it cools down.
Scag Wildcat (STWC52V-26KA-LC) with 26 Hp Liquid Cooled Kawasaki (FD731V)

Symptom: Scag ZTR starts and runs perfect until it is shut off at normal operating temperature. It will not restart (no spark) until the temperature drops below operating temperature. When it is in this state I have disconnected the black kill wires at each coil but still no spark. After 30 to 45 minutes and when temperature gage drops below operating temp spark returns and engine starts and mows fine. I don't think it is a coil problem because I can mow for hours as long as I don't shut the engine down. Also, if I turn the switch to 'off' while the engine is still spinning and back to 'on' again it will not re-fire like an engine normally would. It can, however, be shut off and restarted as long as the engine has not come all the way up to normal operating temperature.

Tests: I have tested all the safety switches individually with and ohm meter and all seem to check out.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Well, if you unplugged the kill wire and still no spark, that eliminates any switch. I'm betting on a bad coil. Although, it being a twin with 2 coils,, seems odd for 2 to be going bad at the same time....
Wait and see what other says.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Oh, how did you verify no spark?