Scag truck loader impeller bolt torque

iaff801

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was asked by a friend to help him with his 10 year old Scag truck loader. I do not have the model number as the tag is missing. He blew the Vanguard engine and bought a new one. I took it apart and now reassembling. My question is does anyone know the correct bolt torque for the tapered hub (#484819) to the impeller. The threaded holes (to press the impeller off) in the hub were already a bit beat up before I got to it (I tapped them out) so I dont want to overtighten the impeller and have it not come off next time. It was originally a 29hp and it has an impeller that is about 12inches in diameter. Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The screws are 1/4-20 so torque them normal screw torque depending on the grade markings. Most I have seen used are Grade 5 which would torque to 76 in/lbs but be aware that those tapered hubs will only go so far so if bending starts stop tightening.

iaff801

Forum Newbie
Threads
Actually the 3 bolts holding the impeller to the hub are 3/8-16. I don't believe these bolts get torqued to full value, which is what causes it to come off so hard

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Then you should contact a Scag dealer as they might have the service manual.

BTW even those with the 1/4" screws are hard to get off at times.