Scag Tiger Cub Ruins Batteries

Geofft

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've never done a forum before, but I cannot for the life of me figure this out. I have a scag Tiger Cub STC61V-23BV that has the 23hp Briggs vanguard. It started to completely drain a battery as I cut and leave me stranded. First thought, put a new battery. After an hour or 2 of mowing, the battery was dead. Second thought, voltage regulator. Nope, still drained the battery. Checked stator output and it was fine. Then I started getting alot of chatter from the solenoid so I replaced it. Still drained the battery. I finally noticed that the female connector on the wiring harness that goes to the seat switch was missing and all 3 wires were wire nutted together. I'm assuming this is the issue, but I cannot find that female end without buying a whole harness. If anyone else has any other suggestions or input on what might be the issue or where to get a connector I would sure appreciate it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The connector can be gotten from Stens. PN 430-057 which replaces the Delta 96525-GY housing. Just note the shorting strip ( if present) need to be removed for use on the Scag harness.

But the way the wires are try together it just overrides the operator present switch and has nothing to do with the system draining.

Since you have the stator output did check the voltage regulator output voltage. If it is fine then it is likely that you have a partially shorted PTO clutch field winding. I have seen these to partially shorted pulling up to 20 amps and still operate but drain the electrical system.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Checked the alternator output how & where and what was it ?
If the recharge current flows through the key switch, that can burn out.
Wire carrying the recharge current back to the battery can also be broken

Geofft

Forum Newbie
Threads
Checked the alternator output how & where and what was it ?
If the recharge current flows through the key switch, that can burn out.
Wire carrying the recharge current back to the battery can also be broken
I'm wanting to say it was around 20v and then 13v coming out of the regulator. I forgot to add that I did put in a new switch. The batteries don't just get drained, they are bad after 1 mow. I put a brand new battery on cut for a couple hours and it was dead. I took the battery out and put it on a charger and then put it on another mower and it wouldn't work. It has to be hooked to a jump box every time no matter what you put it on. This has happened to 3 batteries now.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do the old school parasitic battery drain test.

Key OFF, mower OFF.

Remove negative terminal/connector at - battery post.
Insert meter set to AMPS. Measure between negative cable/connector and - battery post. Black robe on - battery post and + probe on - battery cable terminal/connector.

Make sure your meter has a FUSE to measure amps. This might be a nice healthy short since it's eating batteries.

slomo

Geofft

Forum Newbie
Threads

Key OFF, mower OFF.

Insert meter set to AMPS. Measure between negative cable/connector and - battery post. Black robe on - battery post and + probe on - battery cable terminal/connector.

Make sure your meter has a FUSE to measure amps. This might be a nice healthy short since it's eating batteries.

slomo
I'll give that a try. Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Lets try this again.
20 what sort of volts and between which wires ?
13 what sort of volts and measured between what wires ?
Those two numbers do not add up
13V DC can not be obtained from 20V AC using the simple electronics found on mowers.

One thing that can destroy a light duty battery in a very short time is pumping AC into it .
Did you check for AC between the battery terminals ?

We are not standing there next to you drinking your beer and watching what you are doing
We have no idea on your level of understanding of mower electronics so we need to know EXACTLY what you did & how you did it.
Some people will squirt carb cleaner down the throat of a carb, engine off then tell us they have cleaned the carburettor.
Others will strip it down to the tiniest part including removing all of the welch plugs and dump it in an ultrasonic bath for an hour .

Born2Mow

Threads

Key OFF, mower OFF.

You'll want to perform Slomo's test 2 ways: key OFF and key ON. And maybe a third way if you turn on any accessories while you mow. For instance if you run a car radio, then you'll need a third test: radio OFF and radio ON.
  • The charging circuit is generally the only thing connected to the battery with the Ignition OFF.
  • Obviously, Ignition ON cuts in the ignition circuit
  • You can probably figure out the radio
1. The first suspect is always any wiring you've added or the PO added, like the radio, added headlamps, or tow-behind BBQ trailer.
2. Burt is correct. The second suspect is the charging system trying to charge the battery with AC.

Hope this helps.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Lets try this again.
20 what sort of volts and between which wires ?
13 what sort of volts and measured between what wires ?
Those two numbers do not add up
13V DC can not be obtained from 20V AC using the simple electronics found on mowers.

One thing that can destroy a light duty battery in a very short time is pumping AC into it .
Did you check for AC between the battery terminals ?

We are not standing there next to you drinking your beer and watching what you are doing
We have no idea on your level of understanding of mower electronics so we need to know EXACTLY what you did & how you did it.
Some people will squirt carb cleaner down the throat of a carb, engine off then tell us they have cleaned the carburettor.
Others will strip it down to the tiniest part including removing all of the welch plugs and dump it in an ultrasonic bath for an hour .
I disagree if he has the 10 or 13 amp setup that you can't get 13+ dc from a 20 vac stator. Most likely the OP will have the 691185 regulator. But yes if it has failed and AC is at the battery it can cause problems.

Also if the OP is using one of the 6/12 automatic battery chargers it may be only charging to 6v on completely drained battery. The one I have here does that which why I got an 30+ yr old 12v charger or I use my 12v solar panel to recharge completely dead batteries. The batteries has to have at least 7vdc charge for the auto charger to charge to 12+ vdc. Actually the 12v 5a solar panel does a better job restoring completely drained 12v batteries.

.BS 10 A REG.JPG

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Question is: does mower have a charging issue or a high current drain issue or both.
Install a known good charged battery.
What is battery voltage with key off?
What is battery voltage with key on?
Turn on PTO clutch. What is battery voltage?
Turn off PTO and turn on any other accessories and what is battery voltage?
What is the measured resistance of PTO clutch?
If meter can measure over 30amps DC connect meter between negative battery terminal and battery cable.
What is measured current with key off?
What is measured current with key on?
What is measured current with PTO engaged?
Replace battery cable on battery and start mower and set to full throttle.
What is the battery voltage?
Turn on PTO and any other accessories.
What is the battery voltage?
These would be a good start to begin troubleshooting.