Scag Tiger Cub 48" with B&S 24hp no crank, no start. Fixed

Scagley

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Scag Tiger Cub 48" with B&S 24hp no crank, no start. Fixed
Hey Everyone,
I am new to the forum and all information was a great help. I drove my Scag into the dry garage for the winter in Western PA, 295 hours on it. In trying to fire it up this spring, there was zero with a key turn, no crank, no click from the solenoid, nothing. I checked all of the safety switches with an ohm meter, all was good, no problems. A YouTube video showed me how to check the PTO switch, and it is fine. I replaced the two fuses that are up next to the controls, one did look cloudy. When I went to test, I checked the top of the fuses, one has 12 volts going through with the key on, and it was fine. I bought a new key switch and automotive relay because it was easy, the correct relay is coming with the diode. Still no-nothing. The solenoid would spin the motor if I jumped across the top of it, but no spark at the plugs. I was able to try the interlock module from my dealer without buying it, and still no start......One of the fuse holders that has 12 volts with the key on, has power going in, but I improperly checked it the first time. When I checked it on the bottom side of the holder, off the wires, there was12 volts going in, but did not show coming out. Only in, and across the top of the fuse. Bad fuse holder. Once I fixed it, I was able to get a click on the solenoid, and then knew it needed replaced. Got a Rotary brand locally, installed, and now everything is fine. My Scag dealer had a personal machine with the bad fuse holder (on a 60" machine), thanks to him I looked closer at it. Just a lesson, it drove me nuts for a week of testing and back-and-forth.