SCAG Tiger cat II vs Ferris ISX 800

Bigdogcamwu

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking for some help deciding between these two mowers. I have done quite a lot of research and torn between these right now. Hoping to get some others with experience with these.

These units are within a few hundred dollars looking at Ferris 61” with Kawasaki 26HP EFI or vanguard 26hp. The SCAG 61” with the Kawasaki 26hp efi. The SCAG with the vanguard is a big price increase and my budget is right at 9k so that would be only power option I would consider for it.

I have a 48” Ferris and 72” 2004 ex mark I have been using the ex mark for the last few seasons but it is becoming a pain with constant repairs so looking for something new. I only mow my property but it is about 4 acres.

Thanks

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I like that Vanguard engine. And I like the Ferris. How has that old 48" mower served you?"

Bigdogcamwu

Forum Newbie
Threads
I like that Vanguard engine. And I like the Ferris. How has that old 48" mower served you?"
The 48” Ferris only has 35 hours on it but no issues used it for 2 seasons to mow a 1 acre yard moved to a larger property and got the 72” exmark (2004). Would like another 72” but not in my budget to buy new and prefer that this time.

I like the vanguard more from what I have researched.

I like the SCAG tech (Tiger eye), speed/trans, and deck.

I like the Ferris suspension, vanguard engine (in my budget), and warranty is 1 year longer.

Thank you for the response

Last edited:

cruzenmike

Threads
If you were to get a Scag, you should look at the STCII-52V-26FT-EFI. I would pick a Kawasaki over a Kohler in this specific mower. The Vanguard is a very good engine, but I am not certain with the new American made engines. The older Vanguars that were made in Japan were excellent engines. This wasn't a simple change in manufacturing location. Briggs had contracted another company that produced engines for some of the longest lasting, best selling vehicles in the world to make the Vanguard engines. The new assembly plant in the United States is nothing more than an Intek factory converted over to build a different line of engines; so I hear!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The Tiger Eye is the only reason for not buying a Scag
Very expensive to replace makes diagnosing electrical problems very difficult .

Depends how long you intend to keep the mower for.

As for Vanguards, the history of the factory is on Wikki
Briggs bought into Vanguard which allowed them to be sold into the USA market at a lower or no tax rate
Toyota got out and brigges eventually bought Diahatsu out.
We will never know but it would be a safe bet that Briggs then got an obscene amoutn of taxpayers money to bring the manufacture to the USA.

Quality wise I would not worry
Parts supply is a different matter as Briggs is restructuring after the chapter 11 bankruptcy.
a lot of their component suppliers got stiffed ( $ 900,000,000 worth of unpaid debt ) .
So weather they will continue to supply is any bodies guess.