Scag SMZ-52 Super Z

Orange Blossom Special

Forum Newbie
Threads
Needing a little help with this problem. Mower will not start or click, hum or anything else. Only click heard is the solenoid on the bottom of the carb bowl. So far I have replaced the battery, ignition switch, both relays ( the one on the side of the motor and the one under the console), starter, new fuses (both of them) amp gage, checked all of the safety switches with a meter, added a ground wire from engine to frame just to make sure I had a good ground. I have checked all of the wiring to make sure nothing is grounded out or rubbed against the chassis. Still no start. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have a safety switch problem
On a lot f ZTR's they switch on both sides so a switch can be switching battery voltage or ground .
Start with going to Scag's web page & downloading your parts book
BE careful to get the right one as some are serial number dependent .
In it you will see the wiring schematic
NExt get some wire and make short jumper leads so you can pull the plugs at the switches and bypass the switch, and no. just baring the wire end & shoving it in will not work
Make enough of them to do every switch , from memory I need 6 for late model Scags
If your seat switch has a flat 4 wire then it can not be bypasses as there is a secret shorting contact inside the plug to prevent owners disconnecting it .

Start with the key switch then work your way through the whole mower .
It is adviseable to remove the blower housing and pull the kill wire from the magnetos as a precaution because if you accidentially send battery voltage down that wire for the briefest amount of time you will kill them

Luffydog

Threads
Possibly the pto switch or the solenoid if it has one