Scag replacement clutch

Knots

Threads
Question:
Do Ogura replacement PTO clutches need to be burnished before use? This is a Scag Turf Tiger 35 hp Briggs.
Tag on clutch from Scag says “do not burnish”. Tech service at Ogura clutch facility says “they absolutely should be burnished”. I told him about the tag with Scag’s name on it and he says “burnish it”.
Who is correct?

Knots

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is this an after market part, or one from SCAG?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
All new PTO electric clutches need to be burnish in as anti-corrosive coating is on them to prevent rusting before sale.

Knots

Threads
Thanks sgkent and star tech.
The main reason for my question is that the new clutch from Scag (gt-5) has a big brown tag on it that says “DO NOT BURNISH”.
Ogura disagrees with that tag.

Knots

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Put it this way
What damage are you going to do by burnishing ?
Answer none
All you are doing is turning the blades on & off without having a load on the blades
No different to what a sales person would do on the show room car park.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
to me burnish means heavy duty wire brush or abrasive pad on it. What does it mean to you?
Definition of burnish

transitive verb
1a : to make shiny or lustrous especially by rubbing burnish leather burnishing his sword
b : polish sense
2 : to rub (a material) with a tool for compacting or smoothing or for turning an edge pottery with a smooth burnished surface
3 attempting to burnish her image

Synonyms for burnish
Synonyms: Verb: buff, dress, furbish, gloss, grind, polish, rub, shine, smooth, smoothen
Synonyms: Noun: gloss, luminance, luster (or lustre), polish, sheen, shine

Knots

Threads
Burnish is the term that both Scag and the clutch maker,Ogura use.
The issue is not the definition of “burnish” it is whether or not the well defined burnish procedure should be done on a new factory Scag, Ogura manufactured PTO clutch. That is all I am trying to figure out. I am well aware of all the synonyms for the word “burnish” and BTW, there are others.
I would greatly appreciate a well thought out answer and I don’t really need an English lesson, I am only trying to fix this thing….
Thank you,
Knots

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I doubt the clutch was burnish by Scag. Most likely they just reboxed the Ogura clutch in an Scag labelled box or had Ogura to do it. Either way it would not hurt to burnish it after install as it help to keep it from warping during initial use and to remove any protective (anti rust) shipping coating.

Personally I would use the Xtreme burnish procedure which allows the clutch to heat up gradually while removing this protective coating. The protective coating will cause a lot slippage and it will overheat the engagement surfaces though this slippage.