Scag mulch kit for 48" Velocity deck

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi troops,
Having got out of the lawn care business a while back, I haven't been posting much. 2008 Scag Tiger Cub 48" V deck, B&S powered, 2nd engine, around 1,400 hours. I do have other mowing machines and compact tractors.
Since I have owned this machine I have used a collection system about 90% of the time and happy with it although it picked up a lot of dirt some of which was high nutrient top soil. As for spring and fall cleanup with a front mounted de thatcher, this machine is great. For many years I have had a hankering for a second machine with a mulching system installed, came close to buying another Scag several times but someone got there before me.
I picked up a mulching kit yesterday from my local Scag dealer, removed the collection system and installed the mulching kit. Not the easiest job! I jacked up the front of the machine, removed all related to the collection system except for the blower drive pulley and installed the mulching kit. I'm very pleased with the performance of this setup and I will leave it installed until fall. I still do spring an fall cleanup and de thatching for some folks and myself, so my plan is to swap the systems in the fall, leave the collection system on until spring cleanup is done and swap back to the mulching system for summer operation. I think that I can remove the baffle system in one piece, not sure if I will be able to reinstall it that way but I will find out!
Bob MacGregor in CT, aka Mad Mackie

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi troops,
I am very pleased with the performance of this mulching kit! Mowing taller grass is slower allowing the clippings to get chopped up and not leaving rows, but this is an impressive setup. I had considered a mulching kit years ago when I was mowing 3-4 days a week and also had considered buying another Scag machine to install it onto, but didn't. Most of my lawns were nasty and needed constant collection which caused a problem disposing of the clippings, but I dealt with it. Now I only do my own and several select others. With the leaf season coming soon, I will remove the mulching kit and install the collection system in a few weeks. In fall and spring I do cleanup for a lot of folks but don't mow their lawns.