Scag Freedom Z hour meter

nanobooboo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I have a 2015 Freedom Z 52" deck with the B&S 25hp engine. The hour meter died on it. Check for 12v and power's there, but it doesn't work. It's wired so that the clock comes on with the key.

I ordered a replacement per my manual, p/n 484565 (first picture). The vendor sent me the wrong clock, which only has one wire (it's the second picture). I dug around for quite a while and discovered the part numbers changed (Scag probably changed supplier) but the vendor is maintaining that I'm at fault by ordering the "wrong thing". Good grief. On Amazon, the comments on my meter's part number show the same issue.

Any enlightenment out there? To save the trouble, is this unit usable on my machine? I would like to have it wired the same way, on with the key, so I don't see that happening.

I hate fighting with bozos...

Attachments

• SCAG 484565 hour meter.jpg
    SCAG 484565 hour meter.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 21
  • SCAG 483537 Screenshot 2022-05-13 170252.jpg
    SCAG 483537 Screenshot 2022-05-13 170252.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 21

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sometimes it’s best to get from your dealer or an authorized supplier.

nanobooboo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sometimes it’s best to get from your dealer or an authorized supplier.
They are an authorized Scag Pro Gold dealer. The clock they sent was OEM, and in stock. I don't think it's an integrity issue at all, they seem upfront. I believe so many companies are struggling for good help these days. My dealer is over an hour away, and generally has to order anything "special" that I need. Instead of waiting for his order to come in, and then having to go get it, or pay shipping twice, I order online.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well it is obviously the wrong meter.
Now Scag could have changed the meter and issued an update to the dealers on how to retrofit the new meter .
If it is just an hour meter & nothing else then there are dozens of alternative aftermarket ones that may fit .
After all Scag did not make it they bought it in so some where out there the original design one may be available .
However a Scag dealer can not buy & fit an unauthorised part to your mower without risking some sort of retrobution from Scag .
A non Scag workshop can
One of those annoying franchise problems.
I would be double checking the IPL to see if the part number you have been supplied is the same as what is published in YOUR mowers parts list
Wiring often changes each year

Lawn Addict
Threads
Try that one & wrap the wire around a spark plug wire, & see if it records time when key on, or running. Every numerical change is = to 6 minutes.

welchsoft

Forum Newbie
Threads
Old thread but wondering how this problem was solved? I have a new Patriot and the hour meter is not working at all. Three connections on it and wondering if anyone knows how to wire it. The single (of three) wires seems to be secured to the spark plug but the other two wires I am not sure about.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Scag are one of the very few mower companies with some one who actually knows how to draw a wiring diagram
It is in the back of the parts book.
The parts book is a free download from Scag but you will need the details from the ID tag in order to get the right one .
Usually I would have said some one has put an aftermarket hour meter in your mower because Scag never use one with an inductive pick up from the plug leads.
However with the current component shortage it is not beyond understanding that they have substituted the usual one because they can not get it .
All of the Scag diagrams I have seen show the hour meter simply connected to the common ground and the common switched power so it records hours the key is turned on not the hours the engine is running or the blades are turning

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Au contraire, Scag does indeed use an inductive one off one of the plug lead.
What models.
I got 1/2 dozen in the run & none of them have an inductive pick up connected to the hour meter ?

welchsoft

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mine has three leads. One single and one double. Single goes to the spark plug wire. I used an inspection meter to get a good look at the double and found the connector on crooked and only hitting one terminal. Put it back on correctly, turned on the ignition and not have hours (zero at this point) displaying.