Sandpur

bigge31566

Threads
I have over a acre of land and field with mostly centipede grass and it is heavily infested with Sandbur and I've put image for nutsedge and came back later with sedgehammer and I can't see a difference in it yet, is there anything else I can use to kill it

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
THE only way I've ever done gotten rid of sandburs is to pull them up by the roots and toss them into the trash bin. I've gotten so acquainted with them, that I can recognise the plant before the stickers come out. When the ground is dry, I usually wet the soil before I pull them, just to make sure I get as much of the roots as possible.
I enjoy walking in a good yard barefooted. So the stickers have got to go. Period. End of story.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
One problem is the seeds, I've read they can be dormant for 4 years so, dligent use of premergent is required even if you manage to kill the plants with post-emergeent. I think Dithiopyr (Dimension) may be a little better than other pre-ems. OR, use Dimension in spring and a different one in fall? Curiously, I have read that chickens will eat the seeds !!!

At present, my go-to formula for spot treatment in my lawn is 4 oz of Bonide (BND069) - Sedge Ender Weed Control Concentrate, plus, 2oz of Image 100099405 Kills Nutsedge Concentrate in a 1 gal pump. It has helped me a LOT with most standard problems (spurge and dandelions, etc.) as well as Crab grass and even sandspurs and asiatic dayflower. It can stress St. Augustine but I seem to have avoided that problem.

I now seem to have a very stiff, low/creeping, mat-forming woody weed in a few spots. small, linear leaves on green branching stems, the leaves are alternate. I noticed it recently when I mowed a little lower than normal - it is 'under' the St. Augustine. It grows sideways! Dunno what flowers or seeds look like. I don't have a lot of it, just can't ID it. Kinda like a Knotweed but the leaves are VERY skinny.