Safety system seems to be working against itself

jbeane

Threads
Had to replace the starter on my DC Silver Eagle 27 HP Kawasaki engine and after changing have a weird safety switch issue. Attached the + red cable to the top bolt and the - black wire and another red wire to the bottom of the solenoid and the spade connector to the side of the solenoid. Prior to changing the starter I could start the mower with the brake on or off and if brake was on moving the sticks would kill the engine.

Now I must set the brake to start the engine and when I release the brake the engine dies. If I keep the brake safety switch pushed in the engine won't start. If I leave it fully extended the engine dies as soon as I move the sticks. If I take the two stick safety switches and force them to stay pushed in the mower will run and move, but if I try to engage the blades the motor dies. I'm sure I've simply attached a wire incorrectly but my son and I are stumped on what needs to be changed.

Anyone with any idea will be listened to since I have no idea of what else to do. Appreciate any ideas.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I‘m guessing you wired it wrong. Normal the large battery cable goes to a large terminal on the solenoid. Attached to this same terminal is a smaller wire which will supply battery voltage to the electrical system through the key switch. If you supplied power in a different way, through the other solenoid terminal it may not work. Before switching wires around make sure you know what you are doing, as electricity has an expensive consequence if hooked up improperly. If you post back please include all unit and engine numbers so we can get a wiring schematic.

jbeane

Threads
Thanks Rivets, the engine is a Kawasaki FX850V 27hp with the original starter being #99996-6121 it is a different number but the same starter. The engine is in a 2015 Silver Eagle 2760 EFI

jbeane

Threads
Thanks Rivet, the red from the battery terminates on the left bolt that holds the starter to the engine. At the bottom of the solenoid there is black going back to the battery. There is also a red wire that I suspect feeds the system, the red wire is the only one that might be out of place. There is a green wire that goes somewhere, another wire we can see but not sure of the color, and another that ends up connecting by push on connector on the bottom side of the solenoid.

I don't have enough background to look at the schematic and do much with it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The small red wire you feel feeds the system should go to the same large terminal that the cable from the battery attaches to. It should have a large ring connector same diameter as the large terminal.

jbeane

Threads
The wiring harness at the bottom of the starter has a very short red wire that is connected to the same bottom post as the black (-) wire coming from the battery. This harness will only attach at the bottom of the starter because it is zip tied to that location and has very little play. The main red wire (+) goes from the battery to one of the two bolts that holds the starter in place and is grounded at that point.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG, the wire coming from the battery can not go to a starter mounting bolt. It will be a direct short to ground and you could cause major damage. I’m leaving town shortly and won’t be back til tonight. If someone else has replied to the problem I’ll try to get back to you tonight or tomorrow.

jbeane

Threads
Have a good day Rivets, right now you are the only one that has replied so I will wait to hear from you.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your starter has an integral solenoid on the starter. The large wire from the battery positive goes to the large stud on the solenoid (smaller round thing on top of the big round starter). It does not go to a starter mounting bolt. The same terminal on the the solenoid should have a blue wire and a black wire with a fuse in it connected to it. The small terminal on the solenoid should have a blue and a green wire connected to it. This according to the wiring diagram Rivets linked to.