Safety switches ?

Orlando123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hope everyone is well ! I have YTA22V46 garden tractor/mower. While mowing grass, the engine started to sputter then died. Would not restart. Got it back to my shop. I was able to start the motor, however, when I releasing the foot clutch/brake the engine dies. With the foot clutch/break pressed the engine will run. The engine also will die (while the foot clutch/break is pressed in) and I engage the blade. I have noticed that the forward/reverse pedal does not have a good return action. I do have a lot of time on the mower. I suspect that a safety switch has failed. The seat pressure switch I believe is working. Any ideas? Thanks !

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
no the seat switch is not working
In the book that no one reads is the test that no one does
Start engine, release brake lift weight off the seat, engine should stop.
To prevent being sued AYP fit a seat switch with a shorting strip inside the plug so then people try to bypass the seat switch because they watched an idiot brain dead moron on you tube, the mower will not run, in fact some will not even start .
So unplug the seat switch , squirt a good amount of a flushing solution, WD40, contact cleaner etc down the plug then plug it back hard
Let us know what happens
If you go the Husqvarna you will find the wiring diagram , usually first page of the parts book or last page of the owners book

Orlando123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you ! Will try that in the morning. Will post reply results.

Orlando123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good morning ! Thank you bertsmobil1.
I wanted to elaborate a little on my problem with the hope that it may help others.

Yesterday I had checked the safety switches for mechanical operation. As you advised I went to the seat safety switch. In looking closely at the plug I noticed that a prong (second from the right) was bent. I straightened it out and reinstalled to the switch (also sprayed it good with WD40). The engine still stalled when the clutch/break was released as too the blades. I looked again at the switch. When replacing it, I installed the plug backwards! Turned the plug around, problem solved. Not sure if it was the bent prong or weather it was because I had reinstalled the plug backwards. Thanks again!

Attachments

• 20220830_103635.jpg
    20220830_103635.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 5

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for coming back.
That particular plug socket causes a lot a of problems
Most are OK but that random one that is not quite right causes the owners grief forever
Got a couple held together with bee hive wire because they just don't quite hold together tight enough during use