RZT42 leveling deck

csmlet

Threads
My RZT l42 is on its 3rd year and always had trouble leveling the deck to get a smooth cut. Have tried the dealer and he didn't do as well as I can. I cut my burmuda grass at different heights during the year, depending on the amount of rain or the time of the season. It seem every time I adjust to a different height I have to re-level the deck which is no big problem. My problem is now the left side is cutting a !/4" lower than the right side and the left side is as high as it will go. As I understand only the left side is adjustable. What am I missing or doing wrong? Thank you.

csmlet

Threads
Page 25 of the owners manual has a pretty good procedure. If you don’t have the manual you can down lo this one. https://www.mowersdirect.com/manuals/RZT L_OM.pdf
Thanks, I have read the manual but it doesn't cover my problem. the left side needs to be raised 1/4" but it is as high as it will go and the right side is not adjustable. I put 20 lbs of air in the right side and 10 lbs in left side and it is correct.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First you will need to work out if you have a problem with the deck or the deck lift .
So pull the deck right off , park the mower on a flat level surface drop the deck lift to the lowest position and using a square measure he height from the ground to the top of the deck retaining pin hole .
They should be the same .
If not then your lifting arms need careful attention
RTZ deck lift.jpg
Places where problems occur
# 23 (both sides ) missing , worn or backwards, also check the hole they sit in for wear.
# 3 As above, note the pin they sit on is not shown in drawing
# 25 wear
# 26 worn or omitted
# 18 fracture or bad wear or frame rail damage under it

The easiest thing to do is to pack under # 18
The position of the lift handle is badly placed in this diagram so the free end looks like it is part of the shaft axel ( unlisenced CAD driver )

Next is the deck itself
Flip it over and check that the blades for a continious strait line left right
I use a steel rule to extend the blades to the deck sides then trace the rotation of the blade onto the deck with a sharpie pen.
DO each side of the blades and the deck
You should end up with a single strait line right around the deck
A double line = bent blade
Sloped line = bent deck at spindle housing or bent spindle ( very rare )
Also check the welds where the lift brackets attach to the deck for cracking or the deck being bent near the welds ( from people standing on the deck or the mower being slung by the deck )

Last edited:

csmlet

Threads
First you will need to work out if you have a problem with the deck or the deck lift .
So pull the deck right off , park the mower on a flat level surface drop the deck lift to the lowest position and using a square measure he height from the ground to the top of the deck retaining pin hole .
They should be the same .
If not then your lifting arms need careful attention
View attachment 54578
Places where problems occur
# 23 (both sides ) missing , worn or backwards, also check the hole they sit in for wear.
# 3 As above, note the pin they sit on is not shown in drawing
# 25 wear
# 26 worn or omitted
# 18 fracture or bad wear or frame rail damage under it

The easiest thing to do is to pack under # 18
The position of the lift handle is badly placed in this diagram so the free end looks like it is part of the shaft axel ( unlisenced CAD driver )

Next is the deck itself
Flip it over and check that the blades for a continious strait line left right
I use a steel rule to extend the blades to the deck sides then trace the rotation of the blade onto the deck with a sharpie pen.
DO each side of the blades and the deck
You should end up with a single strait line right around the deck
A double line = bent blade
Sloped line = bent deck at spindle housing or bent spindle ( very rare )
Also check the welds where the lift brackets attach to the deck for cracking or the deck being bent near the welds ( from people standing on the deck or the mower being slung by the deck )
Thank you for this very informative post. I never would have thought of that.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are welcome
I will be waiting to hear wat you find
The Cub quick release deck system is really good & I rarely find a problem with them other than the spring inside the pin housing breaking and the hole in the lift arm #5 flogging oval on the cheaper brand versions where the arm is thinner . Why you would bother adding a different version of a part to save 2¢ worth of steel is beyond me unless they get them made in China for local assembly .