RZT-S46 difficult steering - hard to turn wheels

packrat001

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. Just bought a 2013 model Cub Cadet RZT-S46 mower. The steering mechanism is tight and makes turning the wheels difficult - whether moving or not. I tried out an identical model at HomeDepot - sitting out front at their store. THEIR mower steered easily. Called Cub customer service... explained the problem... they suggested buying grease and lubricating. Question: why would one mower have tight steering and another not... mine was shipped in a crate, the one at HD was uncrated, on display. Also, is there any steering adjustment? Cub cust svc avoided answering that question. Thanks for the help!

RatRacer

Threads
Welcome to LMF PackRat. (geez, there seems to be a lot of rats popping up lately...:)

Customer service is just that, customer service. You need technical service for the unit. Display units get their steering played with often, giving lube a chance to distribute. Yours being crated and new, new, has sat and not thinned out the lube yet. Lube gets thicker as it sits, so give it a chance to free up. Also check out all the grease points in the manual, and give them a fresh shot to help it along, especially at the column base where your problem will probably reside given my observations on how those models worked when test driving them.

packrat001

Forum Newbie
Threads
RatRacer... thanks for the quick reply. I only have ONE phone number for CUB CADET - and the choices are "buy a mower", "find a dealer/service center", and "customer service"... no "technical help" choice! I had considered re-greasing the fittings, but was waiting to see if there could be a simple adjustment, or if there could be something bent/mis-aligned first. (my Craftsman mower has PLENTY of "play" in the steering! -- with no adjustment - only parts replacement to fix.). I'll try your suggestions... my wife likes the mower, but not the stiff-steer!

RatRacer

Threads
Yeah, that's the way these days. CS usually works off a scripted list for each kind of complaint, instead of familiarizing themselves on what they are supporting. I would take it out to the largest part of the yard, and zig zag the crap out of it to see if it loosens up. If that doesn't work, then I'd contact a local servicing dealer.

crimson_axe

Threads
Hi- did the steering loosen up on this mower

BruzR

Forum Newbie
Threads
i
Hi. Just bought a 2013 model Cub Cadet RZT-S46 mower. The steering mechanism is tight and makes turning the wheels difficult - whether moving or not. I tried out an identical model at HomeDepot - sitting out front at their store. THEIR mower steered easily. Called Cub customer service... explained the problem... they suggested buying grease and lubricating. Question: why would one mower have tight steering and another not... mine was shipped in a crate, the one at HD was uncrated, on display. Also, is there any steering adjustment? Cub cust svc avoided answering that question. Thanks for the help!

I just fixed mine. bought ad grease gun and noticed the inboard spindle on the steering b would not take any grease. I jacked the unit up and took the cover off. the spindle has a bolt top and bottom. I loosened them both wiggled the spindle. It took grease these are only bushings. apparently the factory over torched these bolts. tighten them up with hand tools now my steering is loosey goosey and no more squeak either. Hope this helps.
Welcome to LMF PackRat. (geez, there seems to be a lot of rats popping up lately...:)

Customer service is just that, customer service. You need technical service for the unit. Display units get their steering played with often, giving lube a chance to distribute. Yours being crated and new, new, has sat and not thinned out the lube yet. Lube gets thicker as it sits, so give it a chance to free up. Also check out all the grease points in the manual, and give them a fresh shot to help it along, especially at the column base where your problem will probably reside given my observations on how those models worked when test driving them.