RZT-S 42" leaves center strip of uncut grass in middle of cut

tonyb635

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / RZT-S 42" leaves center strip of uncut grass in middle of cut
Ok, just as the header says, when I cut I am having to make a lot of extra cuts/passes because of the uncut grass remaining, nearly twice as many. The uncut grass is a strip ~ 1/2 inch wide that matches up with the space that is between the two blades. When the blades are in align there is around 1/2 inch space between them so these blade do not appear to be timed in anyway. With this space, I can't imagine how all of the grass would be cut. When I bought the mower at beginning if summer, the stock blades were horizontal (both), meaning both blades ran from 3-9 o'clock position. I noticed this when I change them with the CC mulching blade kit and two weeks ago I purchased a set if the extreme blades that CC also recommends. I was thinking one blade would have been at 3-9 and the other blade at 12-6, but no. Looks like some engineer that probably on crack came up with thus design. I even had a silly tech lady at CC tell me the blades are supposed to be in alignment and they will stretch during engagement. I just hung up the phone. Went to HD and looked at the two models they had and one seemed to be set at 3-9 and 12-6. While the other was something in between. So I am convinced that there isn't a set pattern they are installed as it really doesn't matter since there is 1/2 in clearance and couldn't contact each other anyway. Is this the way it's REALLY supposed to be???

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
Ok, just as the header says, when I cut I am having to make a lot of extra cuts/passes because of the uncut grass remaining, nearly twice as many. The uncut grass is a strip ~ 1/2 inch wide that matches up with the space that is between the two blades. When the blades are in align there is around 1/2 inch space between them so these blade do not appear to be timed in anyway. With this space, I can't imagine how all of the grass would be cut. When I bought the mower at beginning if summer, the stock blades were horizontal (both), meaning both blades ran from 3-9 o'clock position. I noticed this when I change them with the CC mulching blade kit and two weeks ago I purchased a set if the extreme blades that CC also recommends. I was thinking one blade would have been at 3-9 and the other blade at 12-6, but no. Looks like some engineer that probably on crack came up with thus design. I even had a silly tech lady at CC tell me the blades are supposed to be in alignment and they will stretch during engagement. I just hung up the phone. Went to HD and looked at the two models they had and one seemed to be set at 3-9 and 12-6. While the other was something in between. So I am convinced that there isn't a set pattern they are installed as it really doesn't matter since there is 1/2 in clearance and couldn't contact each other anyway. Is this the way it's REALLY supposed to be???

Okay, your mower is a Cub Cadet. Me and lots of others have been having the same problem, but only with Exmark mowers. And this has been doing this since day one? When you mow, slow down or go slow. Replace all the blades. Are you you are letting the grass grow too tall when mowing? If so, mow more frequently. That could also be the problem. Always cut at full throttle for the best cut.

Hope this helps and reply back with your situation.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK, here's what you need to do to get to the basics of lawn tractor design.

Raise the deck to transport height. Next, find or cut something relatively thin, a straight piece of cardboard box. 1/4" plywood etc. cut about a ft. long and about 5" tall. With the blades both at 90° to tractor length slide the piece you cut between the blade tips. The bottom edge will be on the dirt, concrete or whatever and the piece be vertical. Be sure the blades didn't move from the 90° position.

If the cardboard, plywood or other is perfectly parallel to the tractor or you can change the angle either left or right of parallel you have a problem with blade length. Too short.

If the straight piece you inserted between the blade tips is at an angle and cannot be changed without re-positioning the blades that is saying your blades have overlap as they should have.

Or of you are real good you can set a small square at the blade tips and drop a mark straight down to the concrete and check overlap.

Last edited:

tonyb635

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, here's what you need to do to get to the basics of lawn tractor design.

Raise the deck to transport height. Next, find or cut something relatively thin, a straight piece of cardboard box. 1/4" plywood etc. cut about a ft. long and about 5" tall. With the blades both at 90ー to tractor length slide the piece you cut between the blade tips. The bottom edge will be on the dirt, concrete or whatever and the piece be vertical. Be sure the blades didn't move from the 90ー position.

If the cardboard, plywood or other is perfectly parallel to the tractor or you can change the angle either left or right of parallel you have a problem with blade length. Too short.

If the straight piece you inserted between the blade tips is at an angle and cannot be changed without re-positioning the blades that is saying your blades have overlap as they should have.

Or of you are real good you can set a small square at the blade tips and drop a mark straight down to the concrete and check overlap.
Thanks for the information. Dang you have confused me and you sound like you know what your talking about. Today I sharpened the blades and cleaned the under deck well. Perhaps you can explain this again? Sorry but I'm not getting it.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the information. Dang you have confused me and you sound like you know what your talking about. Today I sharpened the blades and cleaned the under deck well. Perhaps you can explain this again? Sorry but I'm not getting it.
When I get time in my busy :laughing:retirement schedule I'll draw a quick picture if I can't find one on the net. I'm not too good at verbal descriptions.

tonyb635

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I get time in my busy :laughing:retirement schedule I'll draw a quick picture if I can't find one on the net. I'm not too good at verbal descriptions.
I was a bit tired last night so read it again this morning. As I understand it, both blades to be 90 from mower so as sitting in mower they should be going left to right etc. use a thin piece of plywood etc ~ 1/4" to place vertical and running lengthwise to mower between the blades. If both blades make contact to either side then I should have blade overlap. Ok, I'm traveling today but return tomorrow so will have a look.