Ryobi rm300e riding mower (48v electric 30inch) no lights, no move, no blades turn. Dash turns on.

mitchstein443

Threads
  • / Ryobi rm300e riding mower (48v electric 30inch) no lights, no move, no blades turn. Dash turns on.
So I have a ryobi rm300e first thing that went was the key switch. it only used two posts so I replaced it with a toggle switch.
turn it on and i get the hour and battery meter lights up and the beep beep if your not sitting in the seat. As soon as you it down it stops beeping. but will not go forwrd or reverse AND the blades will not turn AND the headlights will not turn on.

I unfortunitly dropped my test meter into some water and am waiting on a new one. So I figured, I didn't hear the 100amp main relay click on, so relaced it. Same problem.

BUT if I jump the main terminals (jumper wire 10awg between the big posts) it goes forward and backwards and cuts grass in both directions (if you push the reverse cut button), so I am pretty sure it is not a safety switch. plus the 12v light do not work (headlights).

there is a 48v to 12v 10amp dc to dc converter (buck) part number rm 997077001, which also is hm997077001 on other brands. I tested the inverter with an old WORKING turnsignal bulb from an old car, it did not light up, the 2amp fuse was good. I also jumped by grabbing a 12awg wire from one battery + and 1 posts (to make 12volts) and jumped the smaller posts on the new and old main relay and they both switched..
I ordered the buck inverter from ryobi, but of course it is on back order, 2-6 weeks. I use this mower for everything from moving stuff around my yard to going dwn the street to the general store for coffee and smokes, lol.. needless to say I need it asap...

So I order a 30amp buck converter 48v to 12v from amazon (next day delivery). WHich i plan to install and make a how to video.. only 30 bucks on amazon.. In the meantime for today, I simply put a toggle switch between the two large posts on the relay and can drive and mow.. The reason for the toggle switch is that if you just hump the posts it will ride and mow, but even if you turn off the mower it will not charge unless you remve the jumper.. Also the jumper bypasses the safeties, wehereas with the relay jumped you can move the mower without being in the seat, push the brakes and gas at the sametime and they will fight each other... and blades do not shutoff if you leave the seat... Which is fine for me but dangerous for my wife to use.. so toggle switch and a hard warning to her...

I'll post back to let everyone know how I made out.