Ryobi riding mower stalling?

Sassyspy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just got this mower 3 weeks ago. Stalls out every few feet when mowing. Granted grass is high and thick after waiting so long for mower, but even on highest setting it won't stay running. Then yesterday I mowed a few feet and since problem was same I turned off blades and headed back to garage, totally frustrated. Then the dang thing stalled out every few feet without blades down and not even on grass, I was on driveway.
I have no way to take it anywhere for service. I am not exactly mechanically experienced I tend to look on YouTube for help but there's very little info on these mowers out there. This is the first place I've found any information at all.
Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can try? I don't yet have the bagger attachment but have ordered it and it's the usual delivery delays I've found with Home Depot holding me up now. I thought maybe bagging it would help with the stalling out. But really for $3000 shouldn't this thing be able to withstand a little thick grass?
Thanks for any help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Going backwards
For $ 3000 I would expect the quality for some thing I paid 3 weeks wages for,,,,, not much
My sister still has my fathers first petrol powered push mower.
The unit owners next to her uses it to mow the common area for their block & 5 others.
He bought it in 1962 and paid 3 months wages for it .
Next Ryobi did not make it, MTD make most of their ride ons & MTD is the cheapest nastiest factory left in the USA.
to be of any real help we will need the actual model number off the ID tag under the seat & the make & model number of the engine .
Ride ons are not particularly complicated items so the average Joe with average mechanical aptitude can fix them .
SO if you know which end of a screwdriver you hold then you are 1/2 way home.

Buying from Home Depot ( or any big box store ) is also a problem because they did not do a predelivery check and any problems with the unit they will direct you towards the nearest dealer.
The dealer will treat you like a lepper because he looses money doing warranty work on a product he did not make any retail profit from selling you ,, human nature .
Some will do a reasonable job because they want you to come back when you need paid for servicing but most won't .
I do a lot of what should be warranty work that the owners have to pay me for because the local dealers either will not touch the mower or quote excessively long repair times.

Now finally a few more details
1) throwing or mulching when it stalled
2) stopped dead like you turned it off or spluttered .
3) what does it do now ?
Spins / won't spin
Pops & farts a bit or makes no sounds
Pops out the carb or bangs out the exhaust ?

We are your hands
You are our eyes , ears & noses

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is this Ryobi mower an electric model?

Sassyspy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Going backwards
For $ 3000 I would expect the quality for some thing I paid 3 weeks wages for,,,,, not much
My sister still has my fathers first petrol powered push mower.
The unit owners next to her uses it to mow the common area for their block & 5 others.
He bought it in 1962 and paid 3 months wages for it .
Next Ryobi did not make it, MTD make most of their ride ons & MTD is the cheapest nastiest factory left in the USA.
to be of any real help we will need the actual model number off the ID tag under the seat & the make & model number of the engine .
Ride ons are not particularly complicated items so the average Joe with average mechanical aptitude can fix them .
SO if you know which end of a screwdriver you hold then you are 1/2 way home.

Buying from Home Depot ( or any big box store ) is also a problem because they did not do a predelivery check and any problems with the unit they will direct you towards the nearest dealer.
The dealer will treat you like a lepper because he looses money doing warranty work on a product he did not make any retail profit from selling you ,, human nature .
Some will do a reasonable job because they want you to come back when you need paid for servicing but most won't .
I do a lot of what should be warranty work that the owners have to pay me for because the local dealers either will not touch the mower or quote excessively long repair times.

Now finally a few more details
1) throwing or mulching when it stalled
2) stopped dead like you turned it off or spluttered .
3) what does it do now ?
Spins / won't spin
Pops & farts a bit or makes no sounds
Pops out the carb or bangs out the exhaust ?

We are your hands
You are our eyes , ears & noses
I will certainly look today for that model number. Thankfully I do know how to use a screwdriver! Not much else, but I watch YouTube videos!?
When it stalls I'm sure it's trying to throw, but the grass is somewhat long and thick that's why I thought perhaps getting the nearly $400 bagging unit would help. Don't know yet still waiting on the bagger.
When it stalls the blades just stop and it gives one beep. Forward motion also stops. I then push down the blade button and pull it back up, to get it going for another 5 feet or so. Then repeat.
As for what it does now, I'll tell you later. I was so discouraged yesterday I've just not taken it out of the garage yet. But historically, I take it out to mow and it does the same thing.

2 weeks. Do you think I can demand a refund??

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
As any new technology there is a lot bugs to work out. Not every use was considered. I have yet to try out one of these electric mowers just hearing about them this year.

From I have read in the owners manual it is probably a low charge on the battery pack.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I will certainly look today for that model number. Thankfully I do know how to use a screwdriver! Not much else, but I watch YouTube videos!?
When it stalls I'm sure it's trying to throw, but the grass is somewhat long and thick that's why I thought perhaps getting the nearly $400 bagging unit would help. Don't know yet still waiting on the bagger.
When it stalls the blades just stop and it gives one beep. Forward motion also stops. I then push down the blade button and pull it back up, to get it going for another 5 feet or so. Then repeat.
As for what it does now, I'll tell you later. I was so discouraged yesterday I've just not taken it out of the garage yet. But historically, I take it out to mow and it does the same thing.

2 weeks. Do you think I can demand a refund??
Yes.
We don't get Ryobi electric ride ons down here but we do get Ryobi petrol ride ons.
Take it back and get your money back
GO to a mower shop with some photos of your yard and ask them for a suitable mower.
There is no such thing as the "best" mower but you can get the "right" mower for your yard & grass type .
You will not get this from Home Depot, Lowes , Harbour Freight, Walmart or any other big box retail giant .

Sassyspy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes.
We don't get Ryobi electric ride ons down here but we do get Ryobi petrol ride ons.
Take it back and get your money back
GO to a mower shop with some photos of your yard and ask them for a suitable mower.
There is no such thing as the "best" mower but you can get the "right" mower for your yard & grass type .
You will not get this from Home Depot, Lowes , Harbour Freight, Walmart or any other big box retail giant .
I did try to return it since I'd had it such a short time. But apparently I was past the "give back" date or whatever they called it. Said I needed to call Ryobi repair and gave me phone number. I sent a scathing email to the CEO of Home Depot and a neighbor came over and had a look at the mower.
Well that was an embarrassing encounter which I'm explaining in a separate post!?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They will ignore your email
However what I have done & encourage others to do is send them copies of receipts for things you ( & your friends ) have bought from other retailers .
The message does sink in eventually.