Ryobi 4-stroke trimmer x430

lefty2cox

Threads
RY34001
EUP1190640
4-29-2011

I just did a carb on this 4-stroke weed trimmer. I had a hell of a time finding the carb as well as any documentation on it. Now that it's running, I'm trying to dial it in but can't find any specs on the RPM. It's running at about 7500 on the top. Has anyone worked on one of these? Am I close?

Also, the adjustment screw on this is different than what I've seen. I've got most of the tools, the spline, the Pacman, etc...but this one just has a tiny off-centered hole. I tried finding the tool but don't know the name of it. Does it sound familiar to anyone and if so, what is the name of it?

Thank you.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IT is an EPA compliant carb so neither the tools nor the information is supposed to be available to Joe Public , as you have already found out .
Tune it the same as most carbs , lean till the engine faulters, rich till the engine faulters then slightly on the rich side of 1/2 way between the two.
Make sure you have a full head on the other end and the line out full length .
You may have to do the tune up 2 or more times because at all throttle openings some of the fuel will always be coming from the idle jet whic will affect the air:fuel ratio at full throttle .
Some carbs have a check valve to prevent the high speed jet flowing fuel at low speeds & some don't

So when I don't know it is High speed jet, Low speed jet throttle stop
Then repeat because the L will have affected the H .
Some times I have needed to do a dozen cycles till it is running right

7500 for a 4 stroke sounds reasonable

lefty2cox

Threads
Thank you. It only has one adjustment screw but without being able to identify that tool, adjusting is out of the question for me right now. Maybe I can make one myself or something close to it.

Looks kind of like this.
tool.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most cut a slot in the end with a Dremmel type tool & use a screwdriver .
IF it is plastic then it will pull off

bogdaN

Threads
The tool is called Pac man.I got that set at Menard.

Attachments

• 20201106_201726 (Small).jpg
    20201106_201726 (Small).jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20201106_201735 (Small).jpg
    20201106_201735 (Small).jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 3

lefty2cox

Threads
I'll likely cut a slot in it but would prefer the correct tool. It doesn't appear to be the pac man because the hole is floating in the middle and doesn't approach the edge of the screw.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Again one of these idiot leglesative powers things .
When the previous batch of new tamper proof jet ends came out I hasseled both of my wholesalers to get some .
One of them showed me a letter from our EPA noting that it was an EPA Law that these tools could only be sold through the franchise who sold the original equipment and then only to workshops that had certified emission test equipment
Fines for them started at $ 30,000 and went up to $ 5,000,000 for repeat offenders .
So none of them are going to stock any tooling for tier II , III , IV or V engines .

However there is no law that prevents them being sold on ebay because auctions are leglisated under the Department of Consumer Affairs & not subject to EPA requirements .
Sounless you can find one on Ebay, or Ali-Baba you are probably limited to committing a federal environmental crime by making an illegal alteration to an emission controlled device.

And yes you are correct it is not a pack man adjuster it is a brand new one .

If the cap is plactic them most have a 21 tooth spline under the plastic "tamper proof" end

lefty2cox

Threads
I don't know whether to be glad or scared but Amazon just sent me an email with a suggestion for a kit of these drivers. And wouldn't you know it, there's one called "eccentric"

This is the one. I probably did a horrible job of describing it but here it is.

Eccentric.png

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is the "Acircle" adjustment tool that is needed. Comes in both large and small sizes.

2 cycle carburetor adjustment tools.JPG

Last edited:

APE

Forum Newbie
Threads
Riuxing carb more than likely - one adjustment - uses the larger Pac-man tool - think 5mm....those kits usually have two of these small and large - good luck - sometimes you have to bite the bullet and replace the carb - that one should be about $25