Runs with choke closed

dager41

Forum Newbie
Threads
My daughters electricity went out they borrowed a small generator powered by a b/s engine. Sorry I don't know the size engine but I think that's no matter. The ONLY way it will run is if the choke is completely closed. Any movement toward the open position will shut the engine down. I know the air is coming from somewhere else but where to start? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Oh by the way the unit looks brand new. I'm not sure it's been used and if it has it's very. very, little.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Carburetor either needs rebuilt or cleaned.
engine model numbers should be on the valve cover of the engine, stamped into it.

Richard320

Threads
I think it's more likely lean fuel than air leak.

If it sits a lot, as generators do, gas evaporates and varnish grows in the carb and plugs circuits. Get a gasket kit and a can of carb cleaner.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pilot circuit is clogged.

slomo

pilotbuddy

Threads
My daughters electricity went out they borrowed a small generator powered by a b/s engine. Sorry I don't know the size engine but I think that's no matter. The ONLY way it will run is if the choke is completely closed. Any movement toward the open position will shut the engine down. I know the air is coming from somewhere else but where to start? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Oh by the way the unit looks brand new. I'm not sure it's been used and if it has it's very. very, little.
A lot of times if you take the carburetor bowl off the nut that holds it on has some wholes in it that get varnished over. Clean the bowl and the nut, and the main jet if possible. Run a small piece of wire up into the main jet to loosen the varnish. Or take it out with a small screw driver and clean it. Use carb cleaner to loosen the varnish.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
A lot of times if you take the carburetor bowl off the nut that holds it on has some wholes in it that get varnished over. Clean the bowl and the nut, and the main jet if possible. Run a small piece of wire up into the main jet to loosen the varnish. Or take it out with a small screw driver and clean it. Use carb cleaner to loosen the varnish.
Yup. If we had the engine numbers we would know what carb he has. Some have a pilot and a main circuit.

slomo

Mark Hartline

Forum Newbie
Threads
You might look at fuel line and make sure there are no small cracks and it is clamped tightly to fittings. If there are small cracks, air can be sucked into the line. I also religiously use fuel stabilizer.

Kierw

Forum Newbie
Threads
The newer motors are all set very lean, I’ve been enlarging main jet ever so slightly, usually vast improvement, I do it with almost every new engine I purchase, especially the predator HF motors..

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The newer motors are all set very lean, I’ve been enlarging main jet ever so slightly, usually vast improvement, I do it with almost every new engine I purchase, especially the predator HF motors..
If the choke is working no need to enlarge anything. Are they sputtering at full revs? Are the plug/s blister white? Show us a picture of your spark plug/s please.

slomo