Running on one Cylinder

SevereDevil

Forum Newbie
Threads
49M977 30HP B&S Engine
Ran fine last year, stopped using around September 2019.
Not running properly. I've replace plugs and cleaned carb.
I can pull off the left plug and doesn't phase it. but if I pull off the right wire it dies.
I pulled off the valve cover and found a push rod came off the top valve(not sure if intake or exhaust)
put it back on and tightened it so its not too tight, or loose enough to fall off. its tight but still loose? like very little play.
I put the plug back in and it runs even worse now.... cant get above 50% throttle bc it bogs down and wants to die while throwing black smoke. it pops a few times also. if i remove the plug to the dead cylinder it has spark and runs smoother but still only on 1 cylinder.
not sure what my next step should be. its $35 to diagnose it at a shop which im going to do tomorrow. is there anything else i can do? any ideas what the issue might be?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
be best to check the valve lash (clearance between valve and rocker arm) on since the push rod hopped off, 1603931437326.png
and also spin the engine over by hand to make sure the valves operate properly and open and close the same distance (easier with spark plug removed)

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not good enough
You have to set the valve lash properly
Also have a good look at the rockers & their movements
The valves should move the same amount & sit out the same distance
If not then the valve guide has shifted

SevereDevil

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not good enough
You have to set the valve lash properly
Also have a good look at the rockers & their movements
The valves should move the same amount & sit out the same distance
If not then the valve guide has shifted
ok i tried setting the lash with feeler gauge but kept becoming loose or tight after a full rotation. they do not sit the same. top sits in more than bottom. should i pull the head?

SevereDevil

Forum Newbie
Threads
thank you. i removed the head and the valve seat was loose. i followed the video and it runs great now! wonder how long it will last....? anyway my issues now are the connections... lol i have to clean everything bc its a hit or miss getting it started between the ebrake wires and handle wires. also the PTO does not engage. 1 problem down, 99 to go... thanks guys

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
If you did it right it should last longer than the rest of the engine (y)