Run engine for testing without blades?

JBtoro

Threads
Am working with a GCV190 for a lawn mower. After several repairs, I fastened it to a test lawn mower deck & attached some blades. I have seen before that this is advised because the lawn mower version of the 190 has the regular flywheel (not heavy like in a pressure washer) & thus needs the weight of the blades to run properly. However, the mower on which I am contemplating affixing this engine is an HRX217 with the roto stop (blade brake) feature. So my question is: can you bench test an engine without blades? I mean, with the roto stop, the blades are not spinning & this does not seem to affect the engine's rpms or anything as else as far as I can tell. It sure would be easier to bench test this engine without going to the trouble of attaching blades every time before so doing.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
you can, it's may be a bit harder to start and you may experience compression kick back while pulling the rope.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
There is nothing like having the recoil rope jerk out your hand leaving behind dislocated fingers. OUCH...I even had a sprained wrist from a GX390 once.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is nothing like having the recoil rope jerk out your hand leaving behind dislocated fingers. OUCH...I even had a sprained wrist from a GX390 once.
I have a chainsaw you can borrow. 92cc, 200psi compression and advanced ignition timing. Pull it like ya mean it or SONOFA.....!
Had the rope break pull starting a 12hp briggs. Screwed up my elbow and shoulder for a month when i hyperextended everthing. Try pull starting stuff with the non dominant hand.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Oh I had hands on some of those saws. This why I having problem with my right shoulder right now where I can't even get behind my back or pick up and use my impact wrench.