Ruining C430 does when hot

Boyde

Threads
I have this Ryobi C430 weed eater, 4 cycle. Runs great, except it gets hot, then will not idle, gets hotter, dies. Will not start. Let rest for 5 minutes, starts right up. I idles fine. Gets hot again, dies. Repeat. Can someone point me in a direction, please.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
how hot is the carb getting? Are you sure the fuel tank is venting properly? I think on those one line runs to the carb that supplies fuel, and the other is either a vent or it pressurizes the tank so it supplies fuel. Make sure all those hoses are in place and not rotted or pinched off with age. Some swell up and slip off or come loose. Also those carbs go bad pretty quick, and the diaphragm that the carb sits on does not supply even fuel. When they go bad they can be running one minute and goofy the next because the mixture changes so much as the flaps in the diaphragm age. Make sure the exhaust screen is clear too. They get carboned up.

Boyde

Threads
Thank you for the responses.
however, this engine runs fine, except when it has been running just fine for a while, it stops running fine. I let it rest for a time and it will start again and run just fine again for a while. Once it gets hot it starts to fail. It seems to be caused by heat.
Can we narrow the possible causes down to what would cause it to fail because of heat?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Time does not equal heat & heat does not equal time
You need fuel in the right ratio to burn, a spark at the right time & compression within the ignition gamult .
So that is where you start
When you work out which one of the three is the problem then you can start to work out why .

I could not count the number of people who have bought all sorts of electrical parts from me ( which can not be returned ) only to find the "overheating probem " was really debris in the fuel tank.

Suspect everything til it has been ruled out

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
one fellow had an engine that he was sure heat related failure. It was an old sock in the fuel tank that was falling apart. Someone else was sure it was electrical. It was a fuel cap that was not venting properly. Someone else was sure it was an overheating engine. It was the fuel pump failing. Someone else found out they had a bad spark plug. Someone else found that the gap on their spark plug was bad. Someone else found a mouse nest in the engine, and chewed wires. Someone else found the engine was covered in dried old grass clippings so the engine could not cool. Someone else needed a valve adjustment. Some never figured it out and sold their mowers so the next person could deal with it. As Bert said - 3 things are needed. Your first task is to figure out which of the three is missing when the problem happens.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I did a call out to a widow in with a similar problem on her husband old mower that she wanted to get running to give to her daughter
There were 3 condoms in the fuel tank.
"lucky the bugger is dead " se said when I showed her the problem
"Because if he wasn't already, he would be now "
She was not amused .