RS80 tran problems

bones774

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I have an Ariens A22 with the RS80 transmission giving me problems.

newbie here thank for any help. i have an A22A46 with trans problem, RS80. Goes very slow in forward and pedal all tthe way pushed,
I went thru the trouble shoot steps, and where it fails is when the foot pedal is all the way forward I cant rotate secondary pulley in CW direction (or it may be beyond my strength), Neutral rotation is good and reverse rotation is good,.
Differential check is also good.
When stepping on trans pedal i feel the detentes catching and they feel good but forward pedal is much to uch extension.
I cleaned all the muck from inside there and removed variator and cleaned under that, probably first time in 3 years since new.
Any info or thought s, please help
thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First that is a GTI RS800.

Have you gone here and downloaded the service manual for the RS800? Click on the link for lost of speed range.

bones774

Forum Newbie
Threads
No i haven't, i didnt see anywhere to access it and still dont.
I tried my best to ID it online and that is what i found, im sorry i miss id'ed it.
Im a senior citizen trying my best to navigate this digital world so
thanks for all your help.

Last edited:

bones774

Forum Newbie
Threads
Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Also this is one of the service bulletins related to the problem.
1656586709171.png
1656586762637.png

bones774

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also this is one of the service bulletins related to the problem.
View attachment 61266
View attachment 61267
Plenty of movement in brake pedal. I think thats covered in the video when they tell you to step on brake to unlock the drive release, but i will check it.
Just gave the replace pulley a quick skim, they mention special tool to remove flange cover nut?? Can I work around that?

Last edited:

bones774

Forum Newbie
Threads
This where I am at now, if anyone can please help.
1) tranny still in machine
2)I removed cover off the driven plate
3)the aluminum ramp was frozen in the up position, had to rotate the ramp with great difficulty to a low spot on mobile flange then persuade it with rubber mallet to drop into low spot.
4)the mobile flange cannot be removed while tran mounted( welded crossbar in the way.)
5)Again now i tried to rotate fixed flange while in forward, i cant move it CW, moves freely in neutral and reverse wheels spin as expected.
any ideas please? Grass is getting long.
thanks

bones774

Forum Newbie
Threads
As i work thru the trouble shooting videoing, i;m trying to determine if the problem is internak or external? At this step internal damage is not ruled out? Im in no condition to drop tranny and dismantle the whole unit.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
No internal parts are available; just the externals.