rough cost for small rebuild kit and machine work

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have a 4 HP Craftsman pressure washer about 20 years old - made by Generac I think. I've replaced the pump a few times. I noticed the last few times it has been running it is starting to smoke. Haven't changed the oil yet and that may help but I suspect that 20 years of washing cars and other things have taken a toll on the rings and guides. Usually when one gets into an engine like this the cylinder is worn, the guides aren't replaceable without specialized machines, the rod and crank are worn etc. I looked at Jacks and generally speaking rebuild kits are about $100. The pump when it fails which it will in about a year is another $150. What is the experience of folks in this forum rebuilding small B&S engines like this as to whether it is financially sound or not on obsolete equipment. If I could spend $150 that would cover boring it, going oversize and be sure the rod, crank, and guides would last another 15 years (I am 68) I probably would rebuild it. But if these things typically turn into a $250 enterprise to do it right and put another pump in it too, maybe it is time to just drive it until the engine or pump fail and buy another. Ideas of cost to do a quality rebuild on a 20 year old B&S engine? engine #10A902-233-01 . I used to be an automotive machinist and built winning racing engines but no longer have access to any of that equipment. I normally end up paying retail for B quality machine work compared to the free A+ job I could do for free myself 35 years ago

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why not just go get a whole new power washer? I hear the Simpson's are pretty good. You won't have that much more in it than overhauling your engine and pump; maybe less.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
that is what I have been thinking. With so many years on this I don't see an inexpensive way to rebuild it, especially if the oil is coming thru a valve guide.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
From a dealer standpoint I won't consider rebuilding an engine that retails for less than $2000, and if that engine has the aluminum bore I don't think you will find anybody to bore it. I don't know the cost of boring in your area but it cost me $85 per cylinder to have engines bored at the local engine rebuilding shop. As far as simpson pressure washer they seem to be decent but go with the commercial horizontal pump model not the vertical pump model. As a Simpson pressure washer service center I see a lot more problems with the consumer vertical models than any other washer they make. Lets just say that me and the factory warranty technician at FNA group are on a first name basis.

SidecarFlip

Threads
I use a gas powered pressure washer all the time to wash down my farm tractors and I've been through a few over the years. Like you, the engines usually outlast the pumps so I get 2 pumps to one engine as a rule. However, they are so cheap today, the last one I just tossed. My present one is a Harbor Freight 3000 psi unit with a 6.5 horse Pred motor and a Chinese pump and it's been ticking along for 2 years now. For 225 bucks it will get tossed when it expires as well and I'll get another HF unit.

I own the machine tools to rebuild a small engine but why bother. Not worth my time or the electricity to run the machine tools.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
thank you everyone. Pretty much confirmed what I was thinking would be the case.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Actually the price of a really good P/washer has dropped a bit, better pumps (Horizontal) and cheaper ( but good) unloader valves and fittings, BUT... SHOPPING price, is crucial, I saved more than $110.00 when I replaced my unloader valve this summer a bit of research pays off .. and avoid the Chinese crap offered, .. follow what the "big-guns" are using, A decent residential model ( 3000 - 4000 psi ) will run about $550.00 - $750.00 :thumbsup:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
thank you. I see some of the units in that price range. I think this vertical model was from about 1997 or so, and maybe cost $275 then. It has given good service but there are times I would like a little more width when washing under higher pressure. Mostly it gets used to clean cars - maybe I'll just use it only for that to prolong its life and get a bigger one for the heavier duty jobs I see coming next spring.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
thank you. I see some of the units in that price range. I think this vertical model was from about 1997 or so, and maybe cost $275 then. It has given good service but there are times I would like a little more width when washing under higher pressure. Mostly it gets used to clean cars - maybe I'll just use it only for that to prolong its life and get a bigger one for the heavier duty jobs I see coming next spring. I could just re-ring it and put in a new piston but if the guides are worn, that isn't an easy fix on a non-replaceable guide engine. It takes fractional drills, a special reamer and tools to fit false guides in anything.