Rotary Mower With Honda GCV 145 Engine

Eugbug

Threads
My local dealer recommends an alu deck rotary mower with a GCV 145 engine (OHV, 4.2 HP at 3600 RPM) which is more expensive than a steel decked mower with a GCV 190 engine. The cheaper mower cannot however be fitted with a high lift blade and has a multipurpose flatter blade which also does mulching. I'd prefer the higher powered Honda engine and what what I'm worried about is that I'll end up with a lower powered machine than what I have already (which has a 5 HP Tecumseh Spectra, not OHV).
Can a lower powered machine perform better? The dealer reckons it cuts better and the air ways and nylon bag design also contribute to performance.
Any thoughts?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
How big of a yard do you have? Also depends on how thick your grass is.
I have 3 push mowers, 2 with a 6 hp briggs, and the other with a 4HP briggs.
I swear the 4.5 cuts and bogs down less than the 2 6HP's.

Eugbug

Threads
How big of a yard do you have? Also depends on how thick your grass is.
I have 3 push mowers, 2 with a 6 hp briggs, and the other with a 4HP briggs.
I swear the 4.5 cuts and bogs down less than the 2 6HP's.
Property is 1/4 acre, but 2/3 of that is grass. I often cut the grass when it gets to 4" tall and some of it has a lot of moss which causes tough going for a mower. However the mower with the Tecumseh engine is able to cope. As regards your mowers, could be wheel size too that affects how much the mower bogs down. I know when there's a lot of moss, the wheels sink and are pretty much climbing all the time. Wheels with a bigger footprint would sink less maybe.