Riding mower won't suck in any fuel

cupboy

Threads
It will start with starting fluid and run for a few seconds. I called a shop and they suggested the carb. needs cleaning but it's kind of hard to check that. Do those fuel pumps really do any pumping? Doesn't seem that they do. I put a new one on and it made no difference.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Start throwing money at the problem is no way to fix the problem besides it can get down right expensive guessing at the cause.

The shop is right as it is most likely a dirty carburetor. To check the fuel pump disconnect the fuel line from carburetor and try cranking the engine. Fuel should flow out in pulses.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You mentioned fuel pump so that means it must be a ride on mower or wide area walk behind
And you mentioned Craftsman so the engine could be a Generac, Tecumseh, Kohler Loncin or Briggs
So now we have narrowed down the field to around 4000 by eliminating Honda, Kawakasi & Yamaha engines
Of course we still do not know weather the mower was made by AYP, Murray, Noma or MTD .
Likewise we can eliminate Toro, JD , Troy Built and about another 5 factories who never made mowers for Craftsman ,
So if you think it is too hard to clean a carb then why should I bother to get a headache trying to work out what your problem could be ?
Then after working out what the problem is we then have to work out what you did to cause it other than to ring the mower shop .
Even then is it worth my time & effort as you obviously can not be bothered to tell us anything about the mower and even after being told the carb needed cleaning you decided to ignore what the shop told you ( which was correct by the way ) and swap the fuel pump .
So help you ?
I will have a think about it after I have helped every one else who has made some effort to tell us what the problem is and how it happened because they have made life easy for me so I will make life easy for them

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
You win. We can't guess the make and model. Now give us the model number and serial number of the mower, and of the engine. Maybe some photos, and also tell us how old the fuel in the tank is.

Cusser

Threads
Mine is a 2005 LT1000 with a Briggs & Stratton engine, and mine has an electric solenoid that shuts off and opens on the carburetor when it gets voltage.

cupboy

Threads
I think mine is like that. I fixed this once before. I seem to remember there was a pin sticking out from the bottom of the solenoid and I pushed it in and everything was fine. This time I don't see the pin, which seems odd. There is a black wire that comes out of the bottom but no pin. These silly shops try to tell me it's a dirty carb. No way. I use ethanol-free fuel only. And besides a dirty carb. wouldn't prevent the mower from running. It may not run as smooth, but it would still run.

DaveU

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like a similar problem I had with my JD Z425. Sometimes wouldn't start, sometimes randomly quit. Checked fuel pump, it was operating fine. I finally tracked the problem down to a defective ignition switch, it wasn't keeping the fuel solenoid operated. Replaced switch and everything worked fine after that. Hope this is helpful.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I think mine is like that. I fixed this once before. I seem to remember there was a pin sticking out from the bottom of the solenoid and I pushed it in and everything was fine. This time I don't see the pin, which seems odd. There is a black wire that comes out of the bottom but no pin. These silly shops try to tell me it's a dirty carb. No way. I use ethanol-free fuel only. And besides a dirty carb. wouldn't prevent the mower from running. It may not run as smooth, but it would still run.
Bull. It doesn't matter if run non ethanol or not. All fuels contains additives that can clog carburetor over time. And yes a dirty carburetor can cause one not to even start or run.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it was the first start of a new season I would always suspect bad fuel or varnish in the carb, or maybe a mouse or rat chewing on wires.

cupboy

Threads
I had already drained the fuel and replaced it. The same fuel as used in the string trimmer and the string trimmer works fine. The mower doesn't even try to use any fuel anyway.