Review of New Pro Turn 260

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Today, I did my first mow with the new PT 260. The Kohler ZT740 started easily and subsequent starts DID NOT require any choking. Engine speeds were steady with no dropping out. The mower performed well with no problems. I did have to adjust the deck lift pedal and steering handles to suit me. The steering controls are a little stiff but, I expect them to loosen up. The Kohler engine used less fuel than my former PT 160 with Yamaha power. I actually used it a bit longer for mulching up pecan leaves. It now has 4.1 hours on the clock. I plan on an oil and filter change after my next mow. So far, I’m liking the mower.

bkeller500

Threads
I had never looked at the Gravely equipment and your post got me curious. The PT-260 is way more machine than I would need for my 1-acre and my budget but it appears to be one Hell of a unit- - - - Congratulations! The machine specs are awesome and I assume the ride is very comfortable. How is the mow? Is it nice and level? Any stragglers? How is it on turns...any deck tilting? I know it's early but would you change anything?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had never looked at the Gravely equipment and your post got me curious. The PT-260 is way more machine than I would need for my 1-acre and my budget but it appears to be one Hell of a unit- - - - Congratulations! The machine specs are awesome and I assume the ride is very comfortable. How is the mow? Is it nice and level? Any stragglers? How is it on turns...any deck tilting? I know it's early but would you change anything?
Thanks!
My former Pro Turn 160 was comfortable, gave a good cut and built really well. The major problem was the Yamaha engine and fuel system.
The Pro Turn 260 has a few more bells and whistles.
I had to level and pitch the deck to my liking. The ride is comfortable. There is NO deck tilting on turns. I immediately put on Gator G6 blades. It doesn’t leave any stragglers. My dealer would have traded even for a Pro Turn 160 with a Kohler engine but, he didn’t have any in stock. So, the alternative was trade down a model or up a model. I sure didn’t want to drop down a model and lose the suspension seat. The extra $1500 wasn’t too bad a deal. He had a Pro Turn 260 with a Kawasaki FX850V but, that would be significantly more.
Is there any thing that I would change? Certainly. I should have bought the Pro Turn 160 with a Kohler or Kawasaki in the first place. That way, I would not have had the headaches from the Yamaha powered unit and wouldn’t have needed to trade for the 260. My local Gravely dealer is just plain awesome.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Congrats on the new PT 260. Sounds awesome, & had to look too. Serious machine.. . More bells & whistles is a good thing.. Enjoy. The Gravely X Factor II deck is said to be very well designed deck.

My Cousin up in MD, just turned 77 & is into Hustlers. So he just got a Hustler Raptor w/Flip up deck, said he is tired of crawling under. We both have same Kawasaki engines tho.. And same on my former Toro, but my New Scag Kawasaki gets better gas mileage. Maybe tighter emmissions helped there.

Last edited:

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks.
My former Pro Turn 160 had the X Factor II deck too. I don’t want to discourage anyone from looking at the Pro Turn 160 or any other Gravely mower. However, if it has a Yamaha engine on it, pass right on by it.

Lawn Addict
Threads
MParr- I'm glad you posted, got me to look up your machine, since no Gravely dealers are close to me.. That machine sure looks serious, & I feel sure you knew that before you up-graded from the PT 160. (y)
Do you know what it weighs ?

And the "stay away from Yamaha engine" is very informative for all who read this thread.

bkeller500

Threads
With that much time in the seat to mow, I would look for a unit with a frame suspension system. I put 100 hours a year counting, mowing, fertilizing, spraying and aeration and since I got a unit with suspension, my old body appreciates the smoother ride.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
With that much time in the seat to mow, I would look for a unit with a frame suspension system. I put 100 hours a year counting, mowing, fertilizing, spraying and aeration and since I got a unit with suspension, my old body appreciates the smoother ride.
You would be surprised how much a suspension seat helps. The former Toro Timecutter HD 54 would beat me to death.

bkeller500

Threads
You would be surprised how much a suspension seat helps. The former Toro Timecutter HD 54 would beat me to death.
I have the 4-corner shock/springs on the frame of my ZT.....but just the standard seat that has 2- coil springs. Next spring I will add a suspension kit to the seat. I am pretty happy with the unit I have as is but as I was mowing today I kept thinking " what if I had the suspension kit"?