Reverse Kill Switch

preacherdan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey yall, i have a 46 " craftsman gold series 2013 mower i bought from sears, and when i put the mower in reverse, while blades are engaged it kills the mower, is there any way around this feature? because i would really like to be able to use my reverse while mowing!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I suggest you read you owners manual. Seeing that you don't give us the model number, I can only assume that your unit has a position on your key switch and a push bottom. If you have no manual, you can go to Sears Parts Direct and download a manual.

preacherdan

Forum Newbie
Threads
the way i understand it, the 2012 had the key disable mechanism, the 2013 were supposed to not be able to mow in reverse. so i wanted to see if someone has found a way around this, the craftsman tech told me that they made them that way as a safety feature , so the owners manual is not of assistance here

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
the way i understand it, the 2012 had the key disable mechanism, the 2013 were supposed to not be able to mow in reverse. so i wanted to see if someone has found a way around this, the craftsman tech told me that they made them that way as a safety feature , so the owners manual is not of assistance here

I don't know what model you have but this is easy.
When you put it in reverse the lever or pedal pushes a switch you can remove the switch or just bend the bracket so the switch does not get pushed.

GentlemanFahmah

Threads
I believe the reverse kill switch feature to be one of the dumbest ideas ever forced on the consumer. I hate them! They are totally useless. Like any switch, it is either normal open or normal closed so figure out whether the switch wants to be open to function or closed and then modify the wiring accordingly.

I have no clue what Einstein thought this was a safety feature because this is on a par with a reverse engine kill on a car as far as I'm concerned.
:thumbdown:

chobbs1957

Threads
I believe the reverse kill switch feature to be one of the dumbest ideas ever forced on the consumer. I hate them! They are totally useless. Like any switch, it is either normal open or normal closed so figure out whether the switch wants to be open to function or closed and then modify the wiring accordingly.

I have no clue what Einstein thought this was a safety feature because this is on a par with a reverse engine kill on a car as far as I'm concerned.
:thumbdown:

According to my Snapper owner manual, a very high percentage of lawnmower related injuries happen when somebody backs over somebody else, usually a child, while mowing in reverse. Personally, I've never heard of such, and agree that this is at least a little bit of over-reach of regulators protecting us more than we need.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you back over your child with a mower you have done 3 things wrong.
Backed up with out looking
Cut the grass with your kids outside they could get hit with a rock.
Did not teach your kids not to go around the mower. Running or not

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do any of the commercial mower have this useless reverse feature because my Ferris doesn't. I had to removed the safety switch on my Ferris so that wouldn't turn the engine off ever time I got off of it.

Parkmower

Threads
Do any of the commercial mower have this useless reverse feature because my Ferris doesn't. I had to removed the safety switch on my Ferris so that wouldn't turn the engine off ever time I got off of it.

No reverse switches on any of my commercial machines. Seat and parking brake, yes.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I had a old Murray that had no safety switches was cutting a yard and hit a bees nest jumped off the mower to run from them. We'll the old Murray kept going and hit a tree and sat there running with blades on digging two holes while the bees attacked it for 20 mins.
A seat switch would have been nice.