Retro fit older motor in newer mower

K_mase84

Threads
Hi everyone I have a craftsman LT1500 tractor that looks like someone put an older motor into. My friend gave it to me today and I need some wiring
Help...The motor serial numbers are. 313701 0126-E1 020626ZE. So It is a Briggs motor just not the motor that came in the tractor. Im assuming it’s 2006 based on the date code. I guess this thing was functioning properly at some point. Honestly I don’t really know but I don’t see why it couldn’t work. I’m a diy kind of guy because my resources are limited so I’d like to try and get it running so I have a working lawn mower.
Ok so there is a 6 pin connector( right next to starter) which is all jacked up and looks like Frankenstein so would it be possible to retrofit a harness from another Briggs motor( SN 318707 0525 B1 081027ZE) this is a poulan xt 16.5hp) it broke a connecting rod and the cylinder is pretty scored up so I’m not going to rebuild the motor but I have a bunch of bonus parts are any of them interchangeable?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
GEt some paper tape
Pull the blower housing off and label every wire both sides of the plug.
From there is it up to you
I buy std 1/4" spade terminal plugs and rewire both engine & mower
Remember the alternator needs a seperate plug which in turn plugs into the main mower plug
Remove the kill wires from the coils and do not connect them till you have finished and checked that the kill wire is either open ( engine running ) or ground ( engine off ) and never shows voltage no matter what.
Some carb solenoids have 1 wire which will be power while other will have 2 and of these, come will run the 2 wires to the main harness plug while others will ground it to the fins .

K_mase84

Threads
GEt some paper tape
Pull the blower housing off and label every wire both sides of the plug.
From there is it up to you
I buy std 1/4" spade terminal plugs and rewire both engine & mower
Remember the alternator needs a seperate plug which in turn plugs into the main mower plug
Remove the kill wires from the coils and do not connect them till you have finished and checked that the kill wire is either open ( engine running ) or ground ( engine off ) and never shows voltage no matter what.
Some carb solenoids have 1 wire which will be power while other will have 2 and of these, come will run the 2 wires to the main harness plug while others will ground it to the fins .
Thank you for your reply the harness that I have off of the poulan lawn tractor has a double pin plug that would plug into a carburetor solenoid so the motor that’s in the craftsman tractor that I’m trying to get going looks like it just has a two cycle carburetor on it there is no solenoid coming out of the bottom of the bowl so maybe I can A either close that circuit With a couple of wire tap connectors with a couple of spade connectors before the factory plug Then just letting that ground screw into where the thermal shield is on the bottom side of the motor grounds out into the block or B I can put the other carburetor on there from the Poulan lawn tractor Which is a Nikki and it has a solenoid on the carburetor

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Model number are wrong so they need verifying.

But the first looks to be 313707-0126-E1 (2002) and the second looks to be 31A707-0525-B1 (2008)

Both six pin harnesses appear to be the same.

And I hate it when hacks up a wiring harness. That why I have the Molex connector housings with pins and sockets to correct the hacks. The connectors with pins and sockets are AMP versions.

The older Walbro carburetor came both without and with solenoid. If the solenoid is not present just the solenoid connector disconnected. Don't close that circuit as it would be a dead short circuit.

K_mase84

Threads
Model number are wrong so they need verifying.

But the first looks to be 313707-0126-E1 (2002) and the second looks to be 31A707-0525-B1 (2008)

Both six pin harnesses appear to be the same.

And I hate it when hacks up a wiring harness. That why I have the Molex connector housings with pins and sockets to correct the hacks. The connectors with pins and sockets are AMP versions.

The older Walbro carburetor came both without and with solenoid. If the solenoid is not present just the solenoid connector disconnected. Don't close that circuit as it would be a dead short circuit.
I’m familiar with Molex plugs end and crimpers but I’m not going to purchase this equipment to fix my lawnmower I don’t work on the stuff enough. See the attachment this is the harness that I have and it has a double pin plug one side is gray and one side is black and the black wire has a terminal loop and It would get screwed into the block if I don’t plug it then i guess it doesnt matter. Somebody cut the plug off of the alternator I can see where that plugs in to the harness the other one is a black kill switch that goes to the coil pack I understand that the only other thing I don’t understand is about the carburetor and if that’ll work or not I haven’t tried it yet but if I don’t need to hook that up I’ll just roll it up and zip tie it to the harness

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I can understand the cost of the crimpers being prohibitive as I have two of them that cost $70 each. I Actually was only an extra set of dies but the crimper supplier would not sell them separating. I was have to modify one set dies so I could crimp the male terminals without damaging the stop and guide tangs.

But being in the business of repairs they were well worth the expense for me and saves my customer and me a lot money and time as I don't need to change out complete harnesses. I did need to another crimper for the small amp sockets and pins but it also works on the weather pack terminals that I am now running into.

Anyway these crimpers are far superior to junk ones comes with bulk terminals that home owners usually can get easily.

K_mase84

Threads
I can understand the cost of the crimpers being prohibitive as I have two of them that cost $70 each. I Actually was only an extra set of dies but the crimper supplier would not sell them separating. I was have to modify one set dies so I could crimp the male terminals without damaging the stop and guide tangs.

But being in the business of repairs they were well worth the expense for me and saves my customer and me a lot money and time as I don't need to change out complete harnesses. I did need to another crimper for the small amp sockets and pins but it also works on the weather pack terminals that I am now running into.

Anyway these crimpers are far superior to junk ones comes with bulk terminals that home owners usually can get easily.
Yeah I worked for a golf cart manufacturer for about eight years and used to use them all the time we would stretch golf carts so I would have to make all new harnesses for you it’s a great thing and a tool where you need it I just I’m trying to get through one mower that’s my personal property lol

K_mase84

Threads
So what would be the best thing to do. Put the Nikki carburetor on and hook the plug up to it and then terminate the ground on the blockOr leave the carburetor that’s there on there and just leave the wires unhooked