Restoring a Montgomery Ward (MTD) push mower TMO-261A

kyoshofan

Threads
  • / Restoring a Montgomery Ward (MTD) push mower TMO-261A
Hello all,

Just starting to restore an old Montgomery Ward push mower (I think was made by MTD). I believe it is from around 1971 and has briggs engine. Model Number is TMO-261A and briggs engine serial number is 92908-1204-01-7102128. I have not been able to find any parts diagram or list and any information about this mower. Any help would be appreciated.

kyoshofan

Threads
No one has any idea where to get this info?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No free information that I know of
B & S put out a 300 odd page manual to cover the stuff they have no intention of digitising called
"Service Manual for Out of Production Engines 1919-1981" part No CE8096-5/00
You will probably find a copy in a real library and definately in a trade school library
As for IPL's very little chance of one of those anywhere apart from an old time mower shop ( not many of them around ) or on one of the forums dedicated to old mowers like VintageMowers.net but that is a pay ( $ 5 ) type forum that seem to scare most away .
Now for your parts book
The important bit is the first 6 numbers 092908
All of these engines are basically the same and the search results for 092908 yielded 89 pages of results .
The next bit 1204 is not all that important as it describes the trim colours, decals and perhaps the fuel tank
But in your case 1204-99 is there , both an IPL & owners manual
The 01 usually means no special branding so the engine would just have B & S decals and no mention of MW.

Now as 092908 codes out as vertical shaft engine with Pulse jet carb & side pull starter
Google B & S engine codes .
So that is most likely to be a Side Valve ( flat head ) engine and that engine ran on till the 2000's by which time a SV engine could not meet emission standards so it should also be covered by a latter publication
"single cylinder L-Head air cooled engines
Note both of these manuals cover a multitude of models so you have to do some selective reading to extract the information you need

Last edited:

kyoshofan

Threads
Thanks for the information on the engine-does anyone have any information on the actual mower itself (parts manual, ect)