Residential grade zero turn durability

jmarwill

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am a home owner with a 1-acre flat lot. I have been looking at the residential line of Toro zero turn mowers (timecutter series). I keep hearing that the residential grade mowers are not as durable as the commercial mowers (that's understandable) but will I notice a difference between the commercial and residential mower in terms of what each can do for me? In other words, is a residential mower likely to limit me?

If I perform regular maintenance on the mower and keep it stored in my garage, how long can I expect it to last (hours of us or number of years)?

Thanks. I'm new to zero-turn mowers and new to this forum - I appreciate any advice you can give me.

txzrider

Threads
I will take a shot... my snapper lasted 12 years before I had any issues... and then it was a siezed bearing. I finally replaced it at 15 years ... I found a (still residential) mower that had a killer feature that I needed. My Country clipper Deck slides out from under it for very easy maintenance. With maintenance and proper care, I believe it will last 15 years are longer. It is heavier duty than the Snapper, but still not full blown commercial. So find one with the features and size and price to meet your needs and go for it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Being a Toro guy, I'll say you can't go wrong with the Timecutter series. If properly maintained it will last as long as anything else out there today. Have one customer who's Z we have been servicing since 2003. I would recommend adding a mulching kit, for a better looking lawn and an hour meter, so you can better track when to service.

Threads
Like the others said, if you maintain something it will last you a long time--even if it's not commercial. I think the Timecutter series is a good mower to look into! :thumbsup:

A_tank96

Threads
Based on what your using your mower for, which is just mowing your lawn, I think it would be a great mower for you. I use mine semi-commercially. It would probably take you about a half hour to do your lawn, that's two hours a month, which is less than 30 hours a year. I would expect it to last close to ten years if you take care of it probably, and maybe more. I highly recommend the mower. Makes mowing fun.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not wanting to come off as a Toro-basher(I too believe they are good quality residential mowers), but you need to compare the same features and/or pricing to at least one or two other reputable brands. I would recommend Husqvarnas(or Dixons, made by Husqvarna but a little better quality) or Ariens(or Gravely's, made by Ariens but a little better quality). Personally, I never like to get "tunnel-vision" when shopping for a product that costs as much as a ZTR.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not wanting to come off as a Toro-basher(I too believe they are good quality residential qential mowers), but you need to compare the same features and/or pricing to at least one or two other reputable brands. I would recommend Husqvarnas(or Dixons, made by Husqvarna but a little better quality) or Ariens(or Gravely's, made by Ariens but a little better quality). Personally, I never like to get "tunnel-vision" when shopping for a product that costs as much as a ZTR.

I agree with djdictn and I'm a Toro fan and I also believe they're a lot of good Quality Durable Residential mowers out there. Hustler, Bad Boy, Exmark, John Deere, Cub Cadet all are good quality reputable residential mowers just to mention a few more. I agree I never like to get "tunnel-vision" when looking but it seems sometimes the more you look, the more you get confused.:confused2:

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I must admit....after looking at approx. 8-9 brands of commercial ZTR's, when my head momentarily stopped spinning I purchased what "stuck out in my mind":0)

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I must admit....after looking at approx. 8-9 brands of commercial ZTR's, when my head momentarily stopped spinning I purchased what "stuck out in my mind":0)

Yea there is a lot to look at, but what's funny is that ZTR mowers are all basically the same. They have the same brand motors, drives, etc. You just have to buy the one that best suits your needs and the one with the bells a whistles you want. I do believe that when you make the purchase regardless of make you need to do it from the most localized dealer with warranty and service in mind.