Rescue GCV190 or not

JBtoro

Threads
Have a GCV190 with a busted cylinder case due to a thrown rod. Remarkably, the lower end, crankshaft, piston, valves & other key parts look fine. New cylinder & rod would cost about $86, very close to the ebay prices for used parts. But here's the question: what issues might I encounter with a used piston & rings inside a brand new cylinder? Yeah, I know, it would be best to also buy a new piston & rings, and I may do that, but half the fun of rescuing equipment is to do it as inexpensively as possible. So any thoughts or prior experience on this will be appreciated.

Reactions: de3

de3

Threads
Have a GCV190 with a busted cylinder case due to a thrown rod. Remarkably, the lower end, crankshaft, piston, valves & other key parts look fine. New cylinder & rod would cost about $86, very close to the ebay prices for used parts. But here's the question: what issues might I encounter with a used piston & rings inside a brand new cylinder? Yeah, I know, it would be best to also buy a new piston & rings, and I may do that, but half the fun of rescuing equipment is to do it as inexpensively as possible. So any thoughts or prior experience on this will be appreciated.
I personally would look for another motor.