Replacing starter spring and rope ???????????????????

franchi

Threads
  • / Replacing starter spring and rope ???????????????????
Today I spent three hours attempting to assemble and attach the starter to a Lawnboy 5239 mower. Despite following the instructions from the service manual, I did not get it done. The big problem is placing the small 7/16" screw that holds the starter to the engine. Is it easier to remove the engine from the deck to do this? After three hours of frustration, I called it a day. I even resorted to turning the entire mower over to help see the hole tor the hold down screw but that too was in vain. I have done this many times in the past and I remember that it is a nightmare!

Several times the spring would become detached from the starter at the center and the process had to be restarted.

What can I do to enable me to do this task?

Suggestions/Comments?

Tia,

Franchi

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Franchi, It's ok I'm in the same boat, late 60's Parkinsons, Cancer, & Major Depression. I ask GOD for help when struggling with a task as you described. Taking frequent breaks also helps me from getting frustrated. Sometimes I just wait until my youngest son has time to drive up & give me a hand. Have you tried using a telescoping magnet to start screw? Or placing a magnet inside a 7/16 short socket? Let us know how it goes, thanks Franchi, Mark

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have lost a lot of sensitivity in my fingers due to RA so find myself dropping things all the time
For those small bolts a magnetic nut setter is the way to go .
Other tricks are to put several layers of food wrap over the end on the socket so the head of the bolt is held firm when pushed into the socket.
Some blue tack in the socket , a pair of normally closed tweezers to hole the bolt by the threads while you push down from the top .
Hemeostats also work really well for holding things not to tight, I have about 10 sets in different lengths ( get them from surgical suppliers )

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Looks like we got a few guys in the "old guy" club. RA in every joint, carpal tunnel in both hands, double knee replacement, sciatica. Ah the golden years.
I tear off a piece of disposable shop towel and put it over the end if the socket and wedge the bolt head into it. Works better with 6pt vs. 12pt sockets.

franchi

Threads
Thanks for the help!

Where does on purchase a magnetic nut driver?

I knew about placing padding in a socket to help hold a bolt but again old age got me. I have to place ALL of the parts that I remove in one container as not to lose them! The same with all of the tools that I am using! There is no longer the ability to remember where I laid anything! Is not the Golden Years great? I too have all of the afflictions listed above! Lol But the alternative is worse! Lol

Stay well,

Franchi

bogdaN

Threads
maybe that help.

Attachments

• 20210425_114029 (Small).jpg
    20210425_114029 (Small).jpg
    102 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210425_114038 (Small).jpg
    20210425_114038 (Small).jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210425_114107 (Small).jpg
    20210425_114107 (Small).jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 8

franchi

Threads
I use the old paper towel on the socket trick to insert the problem screw into the mower. It worked the first try! I have used and taught that trick for years, but yesterday I forgot it. Lol

Franchi

Born2Mow

Threads
Where does on purchase a magnetic nut driver?
You can get small rare earth magnets which you can epoxy into the well of your std nut driver.
Or, you can look for the nut driver sets next to the replaceable screw driver bits. Lots of those have magnets in them.

Link to DeWalt bit set

franchi

Threads
Hi:

Thanks for the tip re. magnets glued into sockets. I will try it.