Replacement

JPink77

Forum Newbie
Threads
New member here. Sorry if this was covered somewhere in previous posts.
Our neighbors gave us their older riding mower. Didn't need it, but thought it'd be fun for the kiddo, and I to ride/cut together.
My stepdad stripped it down to overhaul it for me. Said the mover/components are in great condition, but the engine is shot. It's a Kohler sv610 Courage. Can anyone recommend a direct replacement for it? Thinking B&S. Obviously I'm trying to stay budget friendly, since it was a freebie (and I have a perfectly good push mower).
Thanks for any insight.

Attachments

• 12809.jpeg
    12809.jpeg
    145.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 12887.jpeg
    12887.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 5

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
New member here. Sorry if this was covered somewhere in previous posts.
Our neighbors gave us their older riding mower. Didn't need it, but thought it'd be fun for the kiddo, and I to ride/cut together.
My stepdad stripped it down to overhaul it for me. Said the mover/components are in great condition, but the engine is shot. It's a Kohler sv610 Courage. Can anyone recommend a direct replacement for it? Thinking B&S. Obviously I'm trying to stay budget friendly, since it was a freebie (and I have a perfectly good push mower).
Thanks for any insight.
Any vertical shaft domestic engine can be fitted
Only another Kohler will be plug & play .
Unless the crank case has developed a crack in it from not checking the closure plate bolts of the counter weight punching through the crank case there is little else that goes wrong with them that would warrant replacement .
The surplus engine vendors usually have tons of brand new engines at near 1/2 price .
SEW
SES
TSC
All good places to look

Secondly a ride on mower is not a toy for the kids to play with
It is a dangerous piece of kit that injurs thousands of careless owners and their children every year.
Riding two up with the kids is not going to reinforce how dangerous a mower is .
A blade belt will take a childs fit right off in such a mangled mannar it can not be replaced , let alone contact with a blade

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are going to take this on, remember that the replacement engine will require that you will need to retire the electrical connections between the engine and the tractor.

JPink77

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any vertical shaft domestic engine can be fitted
Only another Kohler will be plug & play .
Unless the crank case has developed a crack in it from not checking the closure plate bolts of the counter weight punching through the crank case there is little else that goes wrong with them that would warrant replacement .
The surplus engine vendors usually have tons of brand new engines at near 1/2 price .
SEW
SES
TSC
All good places to look

Secondly a ride on mower is not a toy for the kids to play with
It is a dangerous piece of kit that injurs thousands of careless owners and their children every year.
Riding two up with the kids is not going to reinforce how dangerous a mower is .
A blade belt will take a childs fit right off in such a mangled mannar it can not be replaced , let alone contact with a blade
1. Thank you for the engine info. That is greatly appreciated.
2. I'm not an idiot.
- A. I know they're not toys.
- B. I'm a healthcare professional of almost 20yrs. I've seen 1st hand, and heard many horror stories in regards to mowers, chippers, etc.. Whether it be accident or incompetence.

Same as a push mower could do. He understands all the dangers with that as well. I do too. But, I still let him "help" me.

Thank you for your concern.