Replacement hydraulic oil Exmark Pioneer Suggestions

rollingstone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Boy I hope this post is not like asking about oil in the motorcycle forum I'm in but here goes. Recently lost all power on my zero turn so I will do a full inspection this weekend but after looking at prices for Exmark hydro oil I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions. The filters are reasonably priced but the hydraulic oil is pricey.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads

Lawn Addict
Threads
If new, I'd recommend doing the hydro oil service @ 50 hours, not 100 hours.

interesting that if using Mobil 1 (15w-50 ) do next change @ 250 hours, & if using OE, 500 hours..

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
If new, I'd recommend doing the hydro oil service @ 50 hours, not 100 hours.

interesting that if using Mobil 1 (15w-50 ) do next change @ 250 hours, & if using OE, 500 hours..
Every mower manufacturer has different recommendations. It’s best to refer to Hydro-Gear or Parker for their recommendations.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why did you loose all hydraulic power on your mower? Belt maybe? Fluid won't normally cause you to loose your hydros all of a sudden especially in two hydros at the same time sound a awful lot like a belt to me.

rollingstone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mobil 1 15W50
Any 20W50
Then there’s the pricey Exmark oil.
Thanks for the link and recommendation. So you are saying I can replace the hydraulic oil with Mobil 1 15W50?

rollingstone

Forum Newbie
Threads
Why did you loose all hydraulic power on your mower? Belt maybe? Fluid won't normally cause you to loose your hydros all of a sudden especially in two hydros at the same time sound a awful lot like a belt to me.
I will take a closer look this weekend. I do not have 100 hours on the mower but lost all power. I pressure washed it and pushed it into the shop so I can lift it up and take a look. The reservoir was empty. It's always had about 1/2" or clear hydraulic fluid in it. I bought a quart of Exmark hydro oil and it was blue and expensive. Now I'm sure there is air in the system so I guess I need to drain the system and replace the hydraulic fluid and the two filters?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the link and recommendation. So you are saying I can replace the hydraulic oil with Mobil 1 15W50?

Yes. You can use Super Tech 20W50, if you like..
Fluids
The fluids used in Hydro-Gear products have been carefully selected, and only equivalent, or better products should be substituted.
Typically, an engine oil with a minimum rating of 9.0 cSt (55 SUS) at 230° F (110° C) and an API clas- sification of SL is recommended. A 20W50 engine oil has been selected for use by the factory and is recommended for normal operating procedures.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
You definitely need to check the belt.
If you have an operators manual, you need to read over it carefully and highlight important service intervals.
If you don’t have one, you can download one from Exmark. You will need the model and serial numbers.
I’m not sure how your particular mower is set up.
The inspection port is located on the inside center of each hydro. It should be about 2” from the top of the casing. Some manufacturers use these ports to connect to the expansion tanks.
There is also a plug on top of the casing. Some manufacturers use this port as a vent. If you have expansion tanks, open these top plugs to allow you to fill it faster. If you don’t have expansion tanks, open the inspection ports and fill through the top plugs. The fluid will begin to run out of the inspection ports when full. The procedure is listed in the service manual that I linked to.

shoughtonh

Threads
The reservoir was empty and it usually has fluid? Is there a leak somewhere? Is there a indicator line in your reservoir like the Lazer has? Im not familiar w the pioneer but 1/2 inch sounds pretty empty to me.